Paradise Builders - Page 206 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2013, 03:18 PM   #2051
diyAudio Member

We have discussed this many times but i can understand that new comers do not read the whole thread and this is only one that has the Paradise as topic.
The best recommendation is to read the constant updated assembly guide ( thanks Alfred, this is a lot of work for you ).
If then a problems comes up the MPP team is more then willing to help.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:44 PM   #2052
Nick77 is offline Nick77  United States
diyAudio Member

Finally back after sending my boards to a buddy for testing. Both boards exhibited the dreaded oscillations, but the reccomended caps worked perfect. Amplifiers were fine. Just fired them up and the PS is feeding them 36.2vdc. Voltage reads 18.1vdc, I let them run for 30 min and i can keep my fingers on the heat sinks but very warm.
Couldn't find my meat thermo for crude measure.

Is 36vdc gonna cause excessive heat? What would be the formula for reducing these a tad if necessary with resistors??
Thanks
Will give a listen tomorrow.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Nick77; 13th April 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:20 AM   #2053
diyAudio Member

Measure the output voltage of your pre regulator without connecting the Paradise boards.
Then connect the Paradise boards and measure the voltage again.
How much drop do you get ? By Ohm´s law U = R x I you can dimension the drop resistor.
The wattage of the resistor can be found by the dropping voltage multiplied by the drawn current. U x I = Power in wattage. Dimension the wattage of the resistor at least two times that power or it will get quite hot although it will not burn.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:22 AM   #2054
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Measure the output voltage of your pre regulator without connecting the Paradise boards.
Then connect the Paradise boards and measure the voltage again.
How much drop do you get ? By Ohm´s law U = R x I you can dimension the drop resistor.
The wattage of the resistor can be found by the dropping voltage multiplied by the drawn current. U x I = Power in wattage. Dimension the wattage of the resistor at least two times that power or it will get quite hot although it will not burn.
Measurement before board was 42vdc and with both boards connected 36.2 at boards. What should be my resistor?
thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:24 AM   #2055
diyAudio Member

Another more practical way : use 10 Ohm wire wound resistors with at least 5 watt.
When you measure the voltage over it you have you already have U and R, that is the sensor method. The current that is drawn by the Paradise is then U/R = I.
Old 14th April 2013, 08:26 PM   #2056
diyAudio Member

I had a pair of 10ohm 5 watt resistors left over from my DCB1 build but it only bought me 3v reduction. I connected leads and its making music!! PTL

Resolution is up several notches and its quiet as mouse compared to my modded Cambridge.

Gotta order some larger value resistors to get voltage down and get some breakin done.

Very pleased with sonics so far. BIG thank you to all!!
Old 14th April 2013, 08:30 PM   #2057
diyAudio Member

Very nice, have fun.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:30 AM   #2058
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What about using a number of diodes instead of resistors, like C-D-C instead of C-R-C?
Old 15th April 2013, 09:50 AM   #2059
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdul View Post
What about using a number of diodes instead of resistors, like C-D-C instead of C-R-C?
Not good, it (using diode(s)) will create switching artifacts/noise. At some point the 'input'-capacitor will have a lower voltage than the 'output'-capacitor and the current will switch off. (other way around is the same except 'on' ).

Also when off the diode has a very high impedance, and when on the diode has a very low impedance, this is not good for the filter that you would like to have.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:54 AM   #2060
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick77 View Post
I had a pair of 10ohm 5 watt resistors left over from my DCB1 build but it only bought me 3v reduction. I connected leads and its making music!! PTL

Resolution is up several notches and its quiet as mouse compared to my modded Cambridge.

Gotta order some larger value resistors to get voltage down and get some breakin done.

Very pleased with sonics so far. BIG thank you to all!!
Good to see that it is all working now have fun Nick77 oops sorry wrong 'smilie' lets use these one's

Hide this!Advertise here!