Paradise Builders - Page 205 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2013, 12:59 PM   #2041
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What about the 12v zeners? Does matching have any impact on the final result, offset etc.?
Old 11th April 2013, 12:59 PM   #2042
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Werner, many thanks for the praise - I really only did this for the fun! Glad to help.....

This also allowed me to go to the bottom of that input voltage issue - after adjusting, I wondered about my own boards (R2 beta, without input offset adjustment), only to find out that they have significant input offset ;-( And, the sound comparison then brought this to light, so in the process we all learned something...
Old 11th April 2013, 01:07 PM   #2043
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Anyway. Here it is
Attached Files
File Type: doc Zener Diode Matching.doc (25.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 11th April 2013, 01:19 PM   #2044
diyAudio Member

thanks, thats helpful. In the case of the Paradise current source, the current really is determined by R5 plus the B-E voltages of Q50 and Q51, the zener diodes are not part of that game.....
Old 11th April 2013, 02:17 PM   #2045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
Werner, many thanks for the praise - I really only did this for the fun! Glad to help.....

This also allowed me to go to the bottom of that input voltage issue - after adjusting, I wondered about my own boards (R2 beta, without input offset adjustment), only to find out that they have significant input offset ;-( And, the sound comparison then brought this to light, so in the process we all learned something...

We say in Ireland " every day is a school day"
Take care
Werner
Old 11th April 2013, 02:25 PM   #2046
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Hammelmann View Post
Folks

Alfred talks about my boards. You are remember my problems:
Originally Posted by hesener Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Werner, can you confirm that the input voltage (measured at the input pins) is +2.5V, and the output voltage is +15V? How about VCASCH and VCASCL, and the voltages across the 6800uF caps?

Hi Alfred, I have just measured (Fluke 787)
UPLUS = -18,13
UMINUS= +18,13
INPUT = +2,48
OUTPUT= +15,23
VCASCH= +14,49
VCASCL= -14,56
Across the 6800 uF caps plus side +1,73
Across the 6800 uF caps minus side -3.16
EXI RIAA= +15,23

Alfred ask me to send the boards over to him for a check and he found
that I have forgot to adjust THE INPUT OFFSET . My fault. He adjust
it for me, measured all importend things, and told me that everything it
perfect now!!!
When I have the boards back in Ireland and Peters power supply is finished I will give same sound impressions.
Alfred thanks a million you do a grand job and thanks to all other lads for help
That was exactly what I measured after soldering. But I didnt care about "and let the Caps burn in". The caps got a kind of incontinence. My fault, but please learn from this Caps dont like a negative voltage at the + pin.
After adjusting the trimmer we should use a 10k R from input to ground, right. Some of us need some lower values, especially with high output MCs, even right? And what about a load of 2,2 nF is it for everybody or only the high Outputters? could someone explain, please.
Old 11th April 2013, 02:47 PM   #2047
diyAudio Member

That 10 Ohm resistor is a dummy resistor that should be taken out after adjusting the input DC. I chose that value because most MC systems have a DC impedance between 2 and 40 Ohm.
You then can adjust the input impedance of the Paradise at will considering that the "natural" input impedance of the Paradise is 10kOhm so only values under that are possible. For example you use a 10kOhm resistor from input to ground. That would make the input impedance ca. 5kOhm. You can add parallel caps at will too but you have to look up the manufactures specs for the cartridge you use. This caps have no influence on the input offset.
The Paradise is made for low output MC systems. High output MCs are not really recommended although they could work if output is not too high ( up to 2mV is ok ) and surely no MMs.
Old 11th April 2013, 03:18 PM   #2048
diyAudio Member

oops, one small correction if I may JG: Please use a 10 Kiloohm resistor for adjusting the offset. If you put a 10 Ohm resistor, you will see nothing.... It is even possible to start the adjustment process without any input resistor, and when you arrived below +/- 100mV or so, then put in the 10kOhm and adjust the last remaining millivolts....

Everything else makes perfect sense. The system I use has a DC coil impedance of 30 Ohm, and really likes about 1000 Ohms
Old 11th April 2013, 03:43 PM   #2049
diyAudio Member

Yes, the lower the resistor, the lower the reading. Even with the "old" Paradise DC input offset was not REALLY a problem
ones the cartridge is connected.
I put in the offset trim because some here do not accept ANY offset, even in the uVolts.
The good think with this trim is that it also lowers distortion because differences in the emitter impedance are eroded. It is really a local differential feedback.
It has a double purpose, you know.
Old 11th April 2013, 04:10 PM   #2050
diyAudio Member

Thanks to both of you. Maybe it will be a help for others too.

Hide this!Advertise here!