Paradise Builders

On your second case, the slow turn on of the LEDs only occurs when the Calvin board is fitted and if I remember correctly I had to tweak the pot on the Calvin board to get the side LEDs on at all - however this maybe a red herring and I need to double check this by turning the pot to each end stop and powering up the board. I'm just wary of popping some component on the boards.

The boards, when running sound fabulous...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Still, it would be interesting to get measurements, in the form of some graphs, showing the 'boot'-phase voltages and currents. Any one? :)

My own set is run with 8.2 ohm resistors in the shunt and it takes about 20 seconds for all the leds to come on, they come on pretty evenly, within half a second of each other at just over 11v on the output.

I could do a series of start up videos, then overlay the voltages around the circuit in a top down sort of display, so you can see them in real time. I don't have any other way to do data capture like that.

In the meantime, here's what has been keeping me busy for the past few nights.

34283302176_b7b67757f6_b.jpg

All stuffed, time for testing and checking the Calvins.

So turns out I have an error on the negative rail on one board. 18v at join to back end, 18v at first test point, correct voltages feeding riaa section, but only 8.4v after the 120r. All solder good, no misplaced parts.

Have tested with another psu board with same result, so fault is between input and 120r. Time to start pulling parts...

Bugger.

Doubly so because pair is for joachim...

So turns out I have an error on the negative rail on one board. 18v at join to back end, 18v at first test point, correct voltages feeding riaa section, but only 8.4v after the 120r. All solder good, no misplaced parts.

Have tested with another psu board with same result, so fault is between input and 120r. Time to start pulling parts...

Bugger.

Doubly so because this pair is for joachim...

From one PSU to another.
Ok I got the transformers now,and at input I measured 239v and output 27,6v.
that allows you to predict the open circuit 230Vac secondary: ~26.5Vac
Divide by rated secondary (25Vac ?) to find the transformer regulation
26.5/25 = 1.062, gives regualtion = 6.2%
Measure the primary and secondary resistances and you have enough to let PSUD2 do all the calculations.

Role2k, you'll know your mains voltage, in Sheffield I never see even a 2v variance so I set and forget at 26.5v.

Has anyone dabbled with local regulation on their paradise? I'm wondering if splitting out the input stage onto its own local regs might not benefit the sound. Or go the whole hog and dump the shunt for six local regs.

Any thoughts or experiences?