Paradise Builders

I'm in Paradise :) the PSU is dead silent, I can lay back and enjoy listening ... cabling is not jet perfect, but ...
/torsten

Go toroid's go, T O R O I D S, toroid's ... toroid's ... toroid's GO! :cheers:

Just one more (electro mechanical) thing to do, add an external short to the toroid's field. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/117285-toroidal-transformer-potting-can.html

Or one layer of copper-tape on the circumference will do also (as long as it is shorted (not open)).

ILT (I love toroid's :))

So I'm building another Paradise and it's time to build the pre-reg and I'm stuck between two parts. Should I go with...

CSD01060A Cree, Inc. | Mouser

or my previous favourite

LQA20T200C Power Integrations | Mouser

Which diodes promises the best?

Or HFA15TB60PBF International Rectifier | Mouser

The 'Cree' diodes where my first choice, but there was (at the least) one listening report (from a reliable source) that indicated an improvement when changing to Schottky diodes. My current choice is now the IR 'ultrafast, soft recovery' diodes (there is some history to this choice that I am not going to explain). I'm sure that the soft recovery diode's will be great performers (but is not tested (yet)).

Last edited:
You would have lost your sense of humor, had you visited the Bürklin store in Düsseldorf before it closed in '09.

(Portrait a similar experience as buying at a diamond store. 20ft long shiny black marble counter, one guy entering your order in the computer, a second one handling the payment. Parts coming by tube mail from the storage)

Hi,

My first battle won in the struggle with hum and hiss. Get rid of hum by sticking with Frans schematic. Formerly I used to put together the Mains GND and P/S chassis at one pole of the DDRC, the other being used for commons. So, now Chassis together with common and Mains GND alone on the other side of DDRC. And it works. And the chassis of the pream floating.

Great, thanks to all, this thread is very useful, and the people here are very kind to spend their time to answer us.

Alfred, as always, thanks.

I hope finding soon a solution for this hisss issue.

Emil

Myself i have trouble with hum as soon as i connect the tonearm ground to the ground pole... altough i have connected as Frans schematics with the difference that i have DDRC from all parts (each channel + tonearm) to common, and then common is direct connected to main... can this really be any trouble, i don't see why the DDRC from mains to common would help, since everything else is already lifted?
Also usually you should never lift the mains ground for security reasons.

But here are pictures of my build until that!

nice build and really nice chassis ... congratulations

I´ve used the ones from modushop for mine buthave some boards left and are asked to build one for a friend.

For signal boards you used S3207 chassis from ebay. But can you please tell me which one you did use for the power supply section?

Many thanks in advance