Paradise Builders

Sven, that looks very good.
I like simple and the vintage knob.
Also the impedance switch.
What cartridge are you using and does it change the sound when you change the loading ?

Thanks Joachim. I have not yet played with the new switch extensivly since I'm still in the process of fine tuning the ground concept etc.. With the previous incarnation of the Paradise I did settle for 1k load as the best compromise for my Benz Ruby 3. If it was only for this cartridge I wouldn't need anything else but the switch was laying in my drawer collecting dust so I decided to build something future proof - I may start to collect exotic MCs at some point in time. ;)

Best Regards
Sven

I'm afraid I can't :innocent:

Could you be so kind please?

R5 =0,1678V
R6 =0,0636V
R7 =0,1658V
R11=0,0634V

Many Thanks
Sven
RollE2k, it occurred to me that this may sound a bit strange. To clarify - yes of course I can calculate the current flowing through R5,6,7,11 based on the voltage and the resistance. But I don't know how these values contribute to the overall current the buffer pulls. Appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Sven

I also found that the type of resistor is audible not only the value but that are minor details.
I will be able to test that - the "Alt."(ernative) setting of the switch is meant for experimentation. Currently I have 1.05k Vishay S102K metal foil resistors set in while all the other settings use non magnetic Vishay-Dale CMF-55-143, including the "normal" 1k setting. Looking forward to try and see whether I hear any differences.

Regards
Sven

Sven: As long as you have used the values in the calvin guide (R5/R7 = 6R8 and R6/R11 = 2R2) then you just use the formula I = U/R, in other words to get the current over a specific resistor just divide the voltage (U) with the resistance of the resistor (R), in the case of R6, 0.0636/2.2 = 0.0289, which means that the total current is 28.9mA over the positive half of the circuit. With the case of R5, 0,1678/6.8 = 0,02467, which means the current there is 24,67mA.
At least i see nothing wrong here. You run blow 30mA total current over the buffer, so i think you tops would end out with around 110-115mA total current per channel including buffers. Maybe somebody else may know better than me what can be wrong with the leds lighting up slowly.

Im trying to dial in a low output cart (Yam MC1 .20), still working on getting input resistor correct. But someone mentioned trying a 100pF cap parallel to input.
Does that mean i would need 4 caps, 2 for each input??

What effect does this have? I am still trying to get decent volume/dynamics.
Thanks

Given it's a Jap cart don't they run the voltage output test at a higher speed, so in relaity it's close to 0.16mV output.

ype MC cartridge
Armature Air core coil plate laminated aluminum thin film (layer 2)
Magnetic circuit Yokuresu, dual magnetic circuit differential
Conversion characteristic Differential manner
Vibration system One-point suspension
Stylus Diamond 0.1mm special elliptical stylus angle
Cantilever High-purity beryllium, tapered pipe
Equivalent mass vibration system 0.25mg
Braking system Shear bond braking system I seat
Housing case Rigid die-cast aluminum structure
Output voltage 0.2mV (1kHz, 5cm/sec, Peak45 °)
Channel balance More than 28dB (1kHz)
more than 25dB (10kHz)
over 20dB (20kHz)
Electrical impedance (Within 20% pure resistance, balance) 30Ω ± 20%
Playback frequency range 10Hz ~ 20kHz (capacity: 60kHz)
Needle pressure 1.8 ± 0.2g
Static compliance 38 × 10 -6 cm / dyne (twenty-five ° C.)
Dynamic compliance Eleven × 10 -6 cm / dyne (twenty-five ° C.)
Vertical tracking angle 20 ° ± 2 °
Needle tip Special elliptical diamond stylus 8 × 40 micron
Weight MC-1X: 18.5 ± 0.1 g
MC-1S: 7.8 ± 0.1 g
Needle exchange Body replacement (\ 31,500): MC-1X
MC-1S: body replacement (\ 24,500)

Given it's a Jap cart don't they run the voltage output test at a higher speed, so in relaity it's close to 0.16mV output.

Thanks, .16 wouldn't surprise me, I am at about 90% volume but sounded pretty darn good with a pair of PRP 370r resistors on input. Just have to have super quiet vinyl. Using passive Salas Hotrodd DCB1 preamp.

Ill try the 100pF caps. Thanks...