Paradise Builders - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 12:47 PM   #1581
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I only have my earloafs to measure I will try another line input, the one i use now is video, maybe its different?
Old 1st March 2013, 12:48 PM   #1582
diyAudio Member

The gain of the Paradise is 62dB, that is ample.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:51 PM   #1583
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdul View Post
I only have my earloafs to measure I will try another line input, the one i use now is video, maybe its different?
Get your pc to output 1kHz sinewave with some free software generator, make the divider that hessener advised and measure both 1V RMS to the divider and the stage's output itself. No gen and scope needed and reliable enough to check ballpark levels.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:56 PM   #1584
diyAudio Member

I now have it on CD input, and no change, maybe i will give the linestage i am building, a little more gain
Old 1st March 2013, 01:03 PM   #1585
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Get your pc to output 1kHz sinewave with some free software generator, make the divider that hessener advised and measure both 1V RMS to the divider and the stage's output itself. No gen and scope needed and reliable enough to check ballpark levels.
The idea is probably good, but my puter is in one end of the livingroom, and the hifi in the other (separated like poh and food) and i am shure my wife wont like me moving everything around, so i will just live with it, and the sound is fantastic.
Old 1st March 2013, 01:41 PM   #1586
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The gain of the Paradise is 62dB, that is ample.
I quickly measured 62.1dB in the rough when I checked the first channel I made with circa 420 HFe input BJTs, so its repeatable. I hope the other channel will balance near enough though. I gathered the small lytics in 25V 105C for the PSU sections but where the heck is my 2nd OPA134 now? The rascal was there in its tube and now its gone! Anyway a local store will stock up rather soon. All my FET input op amps are doubles and I can only swap the one 134 but not listen in stereo even if everything gets ready. BUMMER!
Joachim, a question: Are there shortcomings if increasing the servo's "authority" with lower value injecting resistors?
And one for FDW: I have some 2SA1930/2SC5171 Toshiba. Those are much faster than DH or MJE. Can they be a good bet for avoiding the possible oscillations issue around the regs CCS?
Old 1st March 2013, 01:44 PM   #1587
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdul View Post
The idea is probably good, but my puter is in one end of the livingroom, and the hifi in the other (separated like poh and food) and i am shure my wife wont like me moving everything around, so i will just live with it, and the sound is fantastic.
Alternatively () there are test CDs with tones or you can burn one with a tone and use your CDP as a source.
Old 1st March 2013, 01:49 PM   #1588
diyAudio Member

You can give the servo more authority, i think that does not cause any problem.
Old 1st March 2013, 01:51 PM   #1589
diyAudio Chief Moderator

OK
Old 1st March 2013, 02:31 PM   #1590
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
And one for FDW: I have some 2SA1930/2SC5171 Toshiba. Those are much faster than DH or MJE. Can they be a good bet for avoiding the possible oscillations issue around the regs CCS?
To be honest, I do not know, I'm not sure if the Ft of 200Mhz (in contrast with the MJE15030/MJE15031's 30 Mhz) is help full. My estimate is, yes it may help, but I have no other reports on this. My opinion is that it is safe to use the 2SA1930/2SC5171 pair, and if it fails/oscillate you can always add the compensation capacitors. My question is, if you have the means to measure oscillation up to 200Mhz, please use them, do not add the compensation, and let me know what happened. O.k. with that, or would you like me to do some simulations? (I'm sure your experience with shunts is, even, larger than mine ).

P.s. Their gain of 40 at 100mA is what I would like, as mentioned before, I do think that the very high gain in the Sziklai's pair is a concern.

Last edited by FdW; 1st March 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!