Paradise Builders

6mA wasn't much, so then as you say it wouldn't matter :)
Just asked since if it took 15mA or so, it wouldn't maybe be necessary to up that much. (just to reduce a little bit of heat for less ventilated cases.

No problem :) all well. But maybe you should look at your own figures, lets say that your assumption is true (the difference between 6 and 15mA is 9mA) then we are talking about 9mA x 26V = 234mW. This is not very significant, and that is why I noted that you will be using a current-setting-resistor of 7.5 Ohms (either way :)).

I haven't started building yet - and i haven't simulated the circuit either, i'm buying all the parts to start soon - just the switch and loading resistors left to buy - and a few transistors sq have sent me!
Now i just need the time - since we recently got a little addition to our family, time for DIY is pretty much 0,1% of time right now.

... and all those high-frequency, high-level harmonics :D I am not missing it (my little one is 7)

I understad, because sometimes it's almost unbearable - we were also unlucky with colic on our daughter, which makes it even worse - poor little one.

The only DIY-stuff i have done during the two first months (we both were home) is to build the benedetto pre-regulator and matched 300+300 transistors. otherwise there haven't been any time! and almost as little listening to music :eek:
Can't wait to start building this Phono-stage when things settle down, til then i'll try to have the case marked for drilling and try to squeeze the drilling in during lunch at work! :)

I understad, because sometimes it's almost unbearable - we were also unlucky with colic on our daughter, which makes it even worse - poor little one.

The only DIY-stuff i have done during the two first months (we both were home) is to build the benedetto pre-regulator and matched 300+300 transistors. otherwise there haven't been any time! and almost as little listening to music :eek:
Can't wait to start building this Phono-stage when things settle down, til then i'll try to have the case marked for drilling and try to squeeze the drilling in during lunch at work! :)

Congrats , BTW join the club:D. I did not miss that part one bit. We had a turbulent time with colic and reflux with our little darling as well. So my thoughts are with you.
Quan

Last off-topic here, but anyways.

Thanks alot quan - what club are we talking about? :)
You seem to have gone through exactly what we are doing now - colic and reflux, and on top of that she doesn't want to sleep and get over-tired, takes alot of patience when you are tired and just got home from work.

Altough today i at least marked the Paradise case for drilling, so at least some progress.
Also got the transistors from sq225917 - thanks alot for helping me out! will hopefully check them and match together with the ones i already have during this weekend if there is time!

As the current topic is cosmetics, anyone with a smart alternative idea for mounting Calvin's boards ?

Mounted above the Paradise board, in a 90 degree angle, would be the easiest, but there's the issue of the heatsinks.
Best brain wave I've had so far was to saw them in half at the IN+OUT intersection, and mount them vertically on each side of the board.

(El Cheapo is using cases with glass top panels : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/163232-100-reasons-go-ikea.html#post2121192 )

Joined 2005
Paid Member
By the way - when going with the wire from the input RCA-jacks to the PCB's is it recommended to have a shielded twisted pair - and connect the shield to the chassis-gnd in both ends? or what would be optimal?

shielded wire is not needed as long as it is twisted. there is a diagram in the assembly guide (at the end), discussing grounding at length, in my observations it is best to connect it all to a star ground at the input side, except the power supply ground which should come through the PCB. Hope that helps.....

Being anal and having spent forever matching parts everywhere in my build I am reticent to cut the legs on transistors to fit the Calvin's. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just cut PCB traces instead? I'm much more comfortable with the idea of splitting a PCB trace than damaging a hard matched transistors just in cade I ever decide against the Calvin's...

shielded wire is not needed as long as it is twisted. there is a diagram in the assembly guide (at the end), discussing grounding at length, in my observations it is best to connect it all to a star ground at the input side, except the power supply ground which should come through the PCB. Hope that helps.....

Thanks for the answer Alfred - but if i now want to "over-do" it and use shielded wire inside - would it be perfered be to have the shield connected to chassi gnd vs signal/common? i'm thinking chassi/mains ground would be better?

Also - the ground connector that goes to the tonearm. I wonder in most phono stages i guess it's usually connected to chassis/mains gnd? I won't rewire my tonearm with two separate ground, and the motor is clearaudio separate unit. So i'm just thinking connecting to chassis/main gnd would be fine instead of common?
By the way - where to find a good ground connector for the case? :)