Paradise Builders - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 09:22 PM   #1071
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
I was planning to build that one, but now I am thinking to get/design a balanced one (I even did draw something up in spice).
Here is where I am (with my probe)
Attached Images
File Type: png Probe.PNG (105.3 KB, 313 views)
Old 12th January 2013, 10:12 AM   #1072
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
What happens if one put a 10 k pot on R3 and R7 and twidle it?
I have done that in the R1 build trying to fight big output offset I got with that build.

Lowering R3 ad R7 does increase the mirrors output current but it is very difficult to do both at the same value in order to avoid causing output offset.

IMO modifying the mirrors output current also alters the mirrors output impedance and that will cause a shift in the riaa filter response.
Old 12th January 2013, 12:35 PM   #1073
diyAudio Member

tanks Riccardo
Old 12th January 2013, 04:08 PM   #1074
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Ok, getting to the root of my issue was simpler than I thought. None functioning 2sk170 on one side of one channel, all of the other components around it measured fine- and it still played. So obviously this device was at fault. I fired up the soldering iron to remove it, flipped the pcb over to apply the iron and hey presto- a massive dollop of solder shorting out the S_G pins on the transistor. a quick swipe of the iron to remove the offending blob and everything is good. All voltages are equal across both sides and both cards and everything sounds good.

Time to box them up. Thanks for all the help along the way guys. I shall be throwing 1000 transistors into the swaps thread, anyone can have them, they are mostly 337 @450hfe and above and 327 @390hfe and below. There will be some in the 2x untested bags of useful values ie around 400
Old 12th January 2013, 05:01 PM   #1075
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
Here is where I am (with my probe)
whats the purpose of r56 and r58?
Old 12th January 2013, 05:02 PM   #1076
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Ok, getting to the root of my issue was simpler than I thought. None functioning 2sk170 on one side of one channel, all of the other components around it measured fine- and it still played. So obviously this device was at fault. I fired up the soldering iron to remove it, flipped the pcb over to apply the iron and hey presto- a massive dollop of solder shorting out the S_G pins on the transistor. a quick swipe of the iron to remove the offending blob and everything is good. All voltages are equal across both sides and both cards and everything sounds good.

Time to box them up. Thanks for all the help along the way guys. I shall be throwing 1000 transistors into the swaps thread, anyone can have them, they are mostly 337 @450hfe and above and 327 @390hfe and below. There will be some in the 2x untested bags of useful values ie around 400
sigh of relieve
Old 12th January 2013, 05:09 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesener View Post
whats the purpose of r56 and r58?
The protection diodes must be protected (I thought) also I want to use this thing to measure floating items in power amplifiers running of +/- 70V. For this purpose I may even need higher values for these resistors. They, and the two 500ohm values will be switchable. Any other thoughts on this? Currently it is just a simulator-prototype.
Old 12th January 2013, 05:10 PM   #1078
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

That is good progress good to see that you are getting things solved!
Old 12th January 2013, 05:28 PM   #1079
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good to hear sq.I'm working my way through the transistors you sent me.The Atlas measures totally differently to my dmm especially on the 337's reading 100hfe+ higher! I should end up with a good set.Thanks for the help.
Old 12th January 2013, 05:51 PM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Keith, that's good news, the dmm I had was way off as well, 50+/- on any given sample.

Has anyone else tried the caps to stop the oscillation yet? Any advice on most suitable cap type for the job, I probably have that value lying round in styrenes.

Hide this!Advertise here!