Paradise Builders - Page 103 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 01:48 PM   #1021
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
Wuld one design new board for separate power suply and one for phono addressing thermals?

Only the regulator has to be as close as possible to the active circuits...unless it uses sense wires.

After a quick listen to the non-oscillating regulator i am pleased to note that the audible hiss has practically disappeared and the Paradise is indeed very quiet.

Sound is quite pleasant and if anything is not quite to my liking it is the spatial aspect - both sound stage width and depth. Not sure if that's the circuit's sonic signature or the pcb groundplane...
Old 10th January 2013, 01:59 PM   #1022
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
After a quick listen to the non-oscillating regulator i am pleased to note that the audible hiss has practically disappeared and the Paradise is indeed very quiet.
That's perfect and it should be so, as HF oscillations are usually audible as increase of hum or hiss or both.

Regarding your LF fluctuations, do you have your boards in shielded boxes?
Old 10th January 2013, 02:19 PM   #1023
diyAudio Member

Not at the moment but will be very easy to have them boxed. Why would the shielding matter? Just blowing on the input transistors generates tens of millivolts at output. Will definitely experiment some more with speeding the servo up.
Old 10th January 2013, 02:35 PM   #1024
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Not at the moment but will be very easy to have them boxed. Why would the shielding matter? Just blowing on the input transistors generates tens of millivolts at output. Will definitely experiment some more with speeding the servo up.
Just box the input transistors (use a matchbox (for testing) or something like that). If this works, then use a small copper box (so it can dissipate some heat).
Old 10th January 2013, 02:47 PM   #1025
diyAudio Member

Good idea, thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #1026
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
I seem to have a bit of a gain mismatch, despite all the components being ruthlessly matched, input transistors better than 5%, current mirrors better than 10% and output from the shunts are all matched within .1v

Any suggestions?
Old 11th January 2013, 01:26 AM   #1027
diyAudio Member

That has being discussed before, you can match the gain by adjusting the emitter resistors of the input stage. How much is it ? 1dB ?
Old 11th January 2013, 06:30 AM   #1028
diyAudio Member

'about 1bd?' - it's about 10cm off to the left from my central seated position, so yes. I'll push a reference level through it today and scope the output.
Old 11th January 2013, 06:45 AM   #1029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
I'll push a reference level through it today and scope the output.

AC voltmeter will be more useful. Just make sure you stay at a reasonably low frequency. Unless you have actual measurements it is impossible to know if the channel imbalance is not due to cartridge, antiskating compensation or something else entirely. As Joachim explained earlier on you can then reduce degeneration from the emitter resistors of the weaker channel by soldering resistors in parallel.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:16 AM   #1030
diyAudio Member

;-) it's not the deck set-up, that is perfectly in balance on all the various stages that pass through my doors. It swaps channels when i swap the outputs from the boards but not when i swap the tonearm leads going into the boards.

I'll create some files on my pc and run them through. I should test the RIAA curves as well and see how close they match.

Hide this!Advertise here!