My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

BB:

Therefore, my current configuration: 5 LP with 38mm (1 1/2") separation between them and also 38mm (1 1/2") clearance between the LPs on each side of the tank (minimum clearance: 1 1/2"), should work.

I am at the min. clearance to the side of the tank: 1 1/2"

Separation between LP: 1 1/2"

Is there a recommended separation between LPs?

J:
I think your separation is probably fine. The wavelength of 40kHz sound waves in water is about 1.57". So that probably should be enough separation. (at 25k frequency, the wavelength is 2.5" in water)

One way to observe is to look at the water surface in between the LPs. Are you still seeing the surface agitation between the LPs that you see in an empty tank? If not, the LPs may be spaced too closely and are acting as baffles, thereby attenuating the ultrasonic cleaning in the tank.
See the attached photo as an example of this. These hanging baffles are used to attenuate sound in an office for example. Part of how they work is because they are spaced closely together, relative to the wavelength of sound in air that the acoustic engineers are trying to attenuate. You don't want to mimic this in your URC tank by spacing your LPs too close together. (The baffles also absorb sonic energy, which your LPs do to some extent as well --- another reason to limit the number of LPs in the bath at one time.)

There are devices to measure actual ultrasonic frequencies in a tank, but they are rather expensive.

Best,
B B

Hi. Am surprise to see all talking regarding wave length and 40 60 80 KHz . So to help people , i will re-post an old post ,from beginning of this tread.

bbftx , i hope you don`t mind me doing this , this is good info :)
This is what UC is all about

This is a post from "bbftx" in 22nd September 2012. And to me , the most important post in this tread , and i hope this info will help some one on the way to build an cheap and good machine.

Hi 78RPM,

The wavelength in water for these UC machines is 3 inches at 20kHz and 1 inch at 60kHz.

But wavelength is NOT the driver of cleaning penetration on a grooved surface in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Ultrasonic cleaners clean based on the cavitation bubble size, which is much, much smaller than the wavelength of the driving frequency. See the attached chart showing Dependence of the Bubble Radius upon Driving Frequency. The cavitation bubble in a 60 kHz machine will have a radius of about 5 microns. The radius of a 78 stylus is roughly 70 microns (0.0027 inches or 2.7 mils), MUCH larger than the size of the tiny cavitation bubbles.
A 33-1/3 rpm stylus has a tip radius of about 17 microns to 25 microns, so again, the 5 micron cavitation bubbles can easily get into the grooves of a modern LP.
I'll also repost the graph here showing the particle size removed based on frequency. Note the scale range of 0.3 to 7 microns (roughly our bubble size).

BB

I am sure somewhere in this thread there is a discussion on the merits of various ultrasonic cleaner models. I will keep looking of course, but I was toying with buying one of the following to replace the super cheap $100 one I bought. Can anyone who knows anything about it let me know if these are good choices.

Sonix4 Mechanical Ultrasonic Cleaner (vs the digital) - Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaner | Charleston | Sonix 4 Ultrasonics

Trusonic - New Stainle e STRK MEBIDX IT trksid p2055119 m1438 l2649 | eBay

Thank you for any input!

Paully,
The Trusonik units are made in China, and given the price points, are likely to not be any better than the $100 unit you bought.

Sonix 4 is US made with generally higher, but not outstanding, quality. They seem to have modified their machine specs and appear to be using 40 kHz transducers now, instead of the 60 kHz transducers which I think made them ideal for record cleaning. You can often find used Sonix 4 60 kHz units on eBay, so you should consider looking there.

Good Luck,
B B

Unfortunately it apears that Sonix is now OEMing their Ultrasonic cleaners from China. Here are a couple of links in Ebay. One is theirs and the other a typical Chinese unit. Bummer is all I can say.
Sonix 4 ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner 6L / 6 Qt with heat and temperature control | eBay

6L Sonic Ultrasonic Cleaner Heated Stainless Steel Industry Jewelry Heater Timer | eBay

Just got this message back from Sonix so 60KHZ may still be available:
Sonix 4 Ultrasonics replied to your message:
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we do still have a line of 60 kHz ultrasonic cleaners - we just have not got them up on our new site yet. The 60 kHz line is very similar to the E-Type products Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaner | Charleston | Sonix 4 Ultrasonics but includes a power intensity controller. If there is a specific size that you are looking for we'd be happy to quote it.

Last edited:
Rob3rt5,
The filtration system parts were posted in my Version 2 parts list (Post with the list is here: BB's Version 2 Parts List)

The pump I bought was a Little Giant brand centrifugal, bought from Surplus Center for $14.95. These are no longer available. It is a Fan cooled motor and centrifugal pump.

I'd suggest going to a more robust 12 volt RV water pump. Something like this one:
Bayite 12V DC Fresh Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump

This is inexpensive, but pumps water well with more oomph than the little centrifugal I bought. The downside is that it is somewhat noisy. But I would go with a pump like this if I was starting from scratch, and would put it in some type of vented enclosure to try to dampen the noise.
Cheers,
B B

Perhaps I missed a parts list for the water filtration system to be hooked up to the USC. I've tried finding quality centrifugal micro pumps but have had a bear of a time sourcing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sundodger,
I just used a steel part from my junk parts bin.
Here are some actual parts options to consider on Amazon:

1. Jeremywell 25BS11-1/4'' Bore 11 Tooth Sprocket

2. Martin Roller Chain Sprocket, Reboreable, Type B Hub, Single Strand, 25 Chain Size, 0.25" Pitch, 14 Teeth, 0.25" Bore Dia., 1.246" OD,

Good luck,
B B

Hello

I have all of my parts, except the 1/4" id X 1.25" gear for the magnet and shaft to connect to. Does anyone have a part number and source for this part?

Sundodger

My solution was an eBay "disco ball" motor screwed to a wooden L shaped bracket
The bath 10ltr stands on the bottom piece of wood with the L up the side of the tank with the motor above and to the side of the tank
A machined spindle just slips over the motor spindle and the record is secured by slip on silicon tube to supply the drive
It works very well with a DIY mix of alcohol/ water/photo release agent at 30degrees

Greetings to the distinguished community!
I want to express my gratitude to those who actively participate in the topic of ultrasonic washers. I read a lot on this topic, including this topic, and as a result we made a project for Russian music lovers, which is 2-4 times cheaper than imported analogues. Once again, thank you all!
Here is a photo and video of what we got:
YouTube
YouTube

I have had excellent results from ultrasonic cleaning
Records really do come out spotless and a de-staticted too
I even tried leaving a record in the bath (not rotating) for an hour so nearly half was cleaned and the rest not
This was to see if long term exposure would damage the vinyl...when I played it I could tell no difference in sound quality as the record rotated.