My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Definitely, no clogs.. Is there some sort of manual for the Little Giant pump? All the sites it is sold on mentions it can be used for 'water displays' and 'fountains'. I assumed it could be run constantly. Either way, when i turn it on at this point, the fan barely spins and it doesn't pump anything! ha..

These pumps aren't meant to be run constantly. You only need to run the pump for about 3 minutes to filter the cleaning fluid. Then turn it off and complete another cleaning cycle before you filter again for about 3 minutes.

Also, make sure your tank outlet is not plugged up and that plenty of fluid is getting to the pump intake.
Cheers,
B B

Also, just to clear up running the pump constantly, this is straight from Franklin Electric (owners of Little Giant):

"It is considered a continuous duty pump, so yes it can run constantly.

Ed"

Just a bit of useful info..

-jay

Also, just to clear up running the pump constantly, this is straight from Franklin Electric (owners of Little Giant):

"It is considered a continuous duty pump, so yes it can run constantly.

Ed"

-jay

Hey Jay,
These pumps really aren't very robust, and if other parameters are pushed to the limit, running constantly is not a great idea in my opinion, no matter what our friend "Ed" says.

The temp limit for the plastic and gaskets used in this pump is 120°F. In my setup, I'm pushing right against this limit with my fluid temp, so I wouldn't dream of running continuously. [It's asking for trouble unless the fluid is a room temp fountain.] The pump temp will eventually rise to over 120°F due to the fluid temp and the added heat from the motor if it's enclosed in a small enclosure. Mine is relatively small, so even though I've accommodated airflow through the pump/motor enclosure, running constantly would take it over the temp limit. That's why I choose to limit the duty cycle.

Trying to troubleshoot your problem, what type of enclosure is your pump in --- good airflow? Also, what type of filter are you using and how does it look now after some use? Does the pump still run slow if it's not trying to push fluid through the filter? Some pics of your setup might help prompt ideas from the group on other possible trouble-spots.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited:
Hey BB, thanks for chiming in..

I ran, the pump with the water temp staying constantly at 110 degrees and after about 5 minutes you can literally see the fan spinning A LOT slower and the water barely trickling from the outlet.. For my trial run of the US cleaner, the pump is not is any housing at all and using same exact filter you recommended. After cleaning about 15 records, I stopped. I drained everything and checked the filter and it wasn't really that dirty. I saw some debris on the outside of the filter but nothing alarming or crazy for that matter. Most of the records i cleaned were relatively clean already.

Even without pumping water the pump was running slow. I'm fairly certain there's something suspect with the pump itself.

Those pumps are meant for room temperature only. Once you heat them up the simple bearings and the shaft clearance will close up and destroy the pump if not burn out the motor. I would look for a very small pump intended to pump a heated fluid if I was doing this. A simple vane pump or small impeller pump from someone like Grainger's should be able to run all day and night, no problems.

Those pumps are meant for room temperature only.

This LG pump is used in hot beverage dispensers. It works in that application, (and for this URC application) at lower duty cycles because of the intermittent use. You pump out a beverage and then stop for a while. Hence my operating parameters of 3 minutes on, and rest/cool for a cleaning cycle (10-12 minutes).
No issues at all with this pump operating this way.
Cheers,
B B

This LG pump is used in hot beverage dispensers. It works in that application, (and for this URC application) at lower duty cycles because of the intermittent use. You pump out a beverage and then stop for a while. Hence my operating parameters of 3 minutes on, and rest/cool for a cleaning cycle (10-12 minutes).
No issues at all with this pump operating this way.
Cheers,
B B

Can you tell me where I can buy this pump - or give me the product no, so I can look for it, on-line.

Thanks,

Andy

Can you tell me where I can buy this pump - or give me the product no, so I can look for it, on-line.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, it's in my parts list. Little giant 1-AA-OM. It used to be available at Surplus Center for $15-20 bucks. That was a bargain and worth it. Cheapest I see it around now is about $55-70. Once you get up to this price range there are other pumps that are probably more durable, rugged and have higher temp ratings. Shurflo has some good beverage pumps in the $75 range that would work well.
Cheers,
BB

Andy, it's in my parts list. Little giant 1-AA-OM. It used to be available at Surplus Center for $15-20 bucks. That was a bargain and worth it. Cheapest I see it around now is about $55-70. Once you get up to this price range there are other pumps that are probably more durable, rugged and have higher temp ratings. Shurflo has some good beverage pumps in the $75 range that would work well.
Cheers,
BB

Thanks, BB - yes, I printed off your parts list. I will search around and see what I can find here in Oz (for 240v) - taking into account the point raised about 100 deg F water. But if I have to get a 110v pump then NP - given the Sonix IV US machine is 110v. :)

Regards,

Andy

bbftx I've been a diyaudio member for a few years, primarily reading (and to a lesser extent contributing to) a thread regarding rebuilding Thorens TD124 turntables.

However, with some 6,000 albums, most culled from various thrift stores in the greater Kansas City area, I've tired of fighting my home-brew wet-vac system.

Today I've read the first 10 or so and the last 10 or so pages of this thread, so I've got a reasonable understanding of where you (and others) started and how things have progressed to today.

I've gleaned a great deal of knowledge from you and the others who have been active in this thread.

Not everyone has $4k to drop on a RCM. I, for one, know that even if I had the money, I wouldn't achieve the same results that can be obtained by putting some effort into learning and subsequently building. Will I be putting together my own system? you bet.

It's great that there are people willing to share knowledge. Thanks to you all.

bbftx

Today I've read the first 10 or so and the last 10 or so pages of this thread, so I've got a reasonable understanding of where you (and others) started and how things have progressed to today.

I've gleaned a great deal of knowledge from you and the others who have been active in this thread.

It's great that there are people willing to share knowledge. Thanks to you all.

Glad you're finding some inspiration and useful info in the thread, catman.

Since I haven't put a note in the original post, and since you said you've looked at the last 10 pages, let me point out I assembled a version 3 setup that is a freestanding unit. It is a different approach than version 1 or 2 and might give you some different ideas to pursue. Here's a link to photos and a parts list about 20 pages back:

BB's URC Version 3

Good luck,
B B

I don't know if anyone else has had the opportunity of comparing a 60 KHZ vs. a 80 KHZ cleaner and the cleaning abilities. I have both a 60 KHZ Sonix IV and one of Vibrato's 80 KHZ. I've cleaned close to a couple of hundred records over the last two months and it seems to me the 60K units cleaning action is better than the 80K unit in cleaning finger prints of the vinyl. I think the 80 may be just too gentle.

The cleaning formula I use is 2.5 OZ of 99% IPA per gallon of distilled water with a few drops Triton X 114. The Sonix tank is a the larger 12 QT 12x13x6 with 5 transducers and the Vibrato is the 6 QT 12x6x6 tank.

Curious if anyone else has noticed the 80K unit not getting at some of the tougher dirt or how their 60K is working.