My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

The Vibrato machine arrived

Gents,

Yesterday, I received my 6Q/60khz unit from Louis Steele of Vibrato LLC. From the previous posts, as you'll recall, this unit was inspired by this thread. It shipped safe and sound with excellent service from Louis.

For those considering it, I thought I'd post a few photos and a brief video demo of the unit in action. So far, it's a no-brainer at the price - simple to use, and a very different experience than my much bulkier and (40khz) NOISIER! ebay unit from China.

The photos depict what you get when your 11-pound box arrives at your door...

The video link takes you to youtube..

Basic demo of a Vibrato Ultrasonic Cleaner - YouTube

(Also, I'm in no way affiliated with Vibrato - other than being a happy customer)

cheers

Thanks for the pics and video of the Vibrato. I am expecting delivery of mine any day now. I have plans to take a large ammo can and custom fit the the internals of the Vibrato into it, complete with 6 RPM motor and arm and maybe a pump/filter based on suggestions from this thread. If this project works out I will post pics of the results and gladly share any tips I learned along the way. I have an inclination to build things into ammo cans (car stereos, desktop computers, and homemade power supply stations), hopefully I can add an US record cleaning machine to this list. More to come.

Wow, big developments since the last time I checked in.
Louis/Vibrato, what a great unit you've come up with. I hope you enjoy the new cash-flow! Perhaps you can take some of that and do what the others have suggested and fit a filter + pump, hardware to mount the records and a motor to spin it, all within a case. I'd be glad to pay a bit extra for a non-transparent/plastic case as well.
I'll stay tuned to this thread!

Wow, big developments since the last time I checked in.
Louis/Vibrato, what a great unit you've come up with. I hope you enjoy the new cash-flow! Perhaps you can take some of that and do what the others have suggested and fit a filter + pump, hardware to mount the records and a motor to spin it, all within a case. I'd be glad to pay a bit extra for a non-transparent/plastic case as well.
I'll stay tuned to this thread!

Great idea!

Perhaps it will take someone working with Louis to create a turnkey record cleaner. If someone has all the dimensions for the mechanism and a parts list that is all over the counter available parts that would help. If I had enough of the information I could do a cad model of this assembly and create the drawings, I am sure I am not the only one who can do that.

Update to ammo can project: Received the Vibratto last week, disassembled and mounted in a large ammo can (plenty of room for internal pump). Made a mistake and I am currently remounting the transducers. Louis has been very helpful with advice and easy to communicate with. This coming weekend I'll have the unit completely installed in it's new case and hope to have the motor and spindle mounted and wired. Once I have a working unit I will post some pictures to give others' some ideas to maybe improve on. Honestly, with a jigsaw and grinder it is not very demanding to mount the vibratto into an ammo can - durable, interesting, portable, and give lots of space for pumps and great mounting surface for the spindle, arm, and motor.

With respect, Louis ... you need to provide some directions for us punters (who are over 30!) ;)

I cut your mention of "Vibrato, LLC" ... pasted it into Google and then clicked on 'Tindie' ... and didn't get an immediate feed to your site? :(

So I have absof'inglutely no idea how to:
* find your product,
* get the specs of it, and
* order it.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? (Which, for an excellent eBusiness site, you shouldn't have to - it should be all straight forward for the punters.)

Regards,

Andy

I finally got my rough setup running using some of bbftx's parts list and other odds and ends around the house and from Lowes/Home Depot (I am using the same 5 rph motor bbftx suggested). I bought the Sonix IV ST126H from FindingsOutlet.com. It is the same brand Luckytiger is using only mine is a 10.8 quart tank.

I have cleaned about 25-30 LPs in two separate cleaning sessions using a little over 2 gallons of distilled water, about 5 oz. of 91% isopropyl, and 5 or so drops of Kodak Photo Flo. I have started with a fresh cleaning solution each time which has been degaussed for 10-15 minutes. The heater has been turned on during the degaussing and then I stir the tank to even out the temps before cleaning. I have made sure to take temp readings at various areas of the tank and shoot for 100-105 degrees F before starting the cycle with the heater off. I have experimented with 3, 5, and 7 LPs on my spindle with ~1" spacers between them and have found 7 to be too many for my current spindle setup even though the tank will support them.

I have achieved great results so far and notice a huge difference on many of the LPs I listened to before and after. To start I cleaned a hand full of my mother's damaged 60's-70's LPs which were in a basement during a minor flood as my "test run". Many had mold and scratches all over them. I couldn't believe how much better these looked after the initial cleaning! I listened to her "Meet the Beatles" Mono and was amazed at how good it sounded compared to how it looked.

I have a couple questions:

1) Has anyone else experienced having build up/gunk on their needle which is hard to remove after playing an album they just cleaned? I have experienced this on a few albums and I am skimming the surface with a small fish net between batches.

2) Does any one have a suggestion for a clamp for a 1/4" steel rod? I am currently using two black metal paper clips with 1/4" holes drilled in them to clamp each end. I am looking for something with a set screw or a thumb screw to make things easier.

I will try to post some pics of my setup later. A big thank you everyone for all of your contributions to this thread!

1) Has anyone else experienced having build up/gunk on their needle which is hard to remove after playing an album they just cleaned? I have experienced this on a few albums and I am skimming the surface with a small fish net between batches.

2) Does any one have a suggestion for a clamp for a 1/4" steel rod? I am currently using two black metal paper clips with 1/4" holes drilled in them to clamp each end. I am looking for something with a set screw or a thumb screw to make things easier.

I will try to post some pics of my setup later. A big thank you everyone for all of your contributions to this thread!

I have not seen any evidence of build up on my cartridge. I'm using a similar home brew to yours with the exception of a couple drops of Palmolive in place of photo flo. I also run my fluid temps a little higher at 120*.

As far as a clamp, I use a small suction cup with a whole in the center, pressed over the spindle snug against the cork stopper. It's a friction fit that is easy to install and remove. It's visible in the attached photo next to the cork.

questions re: bbtfx's BOM

Greetings. I'm grateful to all who have helped advance this design, especially to BB for continued assistance. If I may tap into that... I've read the entire thread, so I don't think this is a redundant question, apologies if I've somehow missed it.

For a Sonix IV, ST136H, following bbtfx's v2 build:

W1 Drill Rod, 9/32" diameter
2" Aluminum Angle Stock, 1/16" thick, 6063 Architectural Equal Leg
3/4" Aluminum Channel Stock, 1/2" deep, 1/16" thick
1" plated steel angle, 11 ga.

- What length is needed for the aluminum angle and channel parts?

- If I can only find 1/8" thickness, will that pose much of a problem, such as weight imbalance or clearance?

- Is the 1" plated steel angle a 1x1"?

- A source for each of these parts? Hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel where possible, and happy to share any new finds.

Thanks!

For a Sonix IV, ST136H, following bbtfx's v2 build:

W1 Drill Rod, 9/32" diameter
2" Aluminum Angle Stock, 1/16" thick, 6063 Architectural Equal Leg
3/4" Aluminum Channel Stock, 1/2" deep, 1/16" thick
1" plated steel angle, 11 ga.

- What length is needed for the aluminum angle and channel parts?

- If I can only find 1/8" thickness, will that pose much of a problem, such as weight imbalance or clearance?

- Is the 1" plated steel angle a 1x1"?

- A source for each of these parts? Hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel where possible, and happy to share any new finds.

Thanks!

Hi Kywoman,
Does that mean you are in Kentucky?

The angle and channel components were chosen because they tend to be available at most neighborhood hardware stores. They typically come in 4' lengths which you can then cut to size for the parts needed for your project. 4' long is plenty for the project if I remember correctly. You can order these types of items online, but they tend to be expensive when bought that way due to shipping costs.

I didn't provide exact measurements as I assumed folks would be using a variety of different UC tanks as their starting point.

The plated steel angle is 1"x1".

You'd be ok with ⅛" instead of 1/16" thick angle. It will make for a very sturdy and overly heavy setup, at slightly higher cost, but it could be made to work.

Let me know if you need more info.
B B