Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2014, 02:02 AM   #641
Truetone is offline Truetone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Interesting that they don't consider any kind of label protection necessary.

Looking at the set up with 8 records immersed, it does make one wonder what it is doing to the strength of the US wave. Since it is hard to judge the efficiency of cleaning directly it would be nice if someone came up with a transducer probe to meter the US power.
Old 27th May 2014, 02:36 PM   #642
Magnetmaz is offline Magnetmaz  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Hi Magnet,
Do you need just the bearing --- I'm assuming you have the bearing housing? I might have another one of the bronze bearings floating around.
B B
Nevermind on this - i heard back from your specified vendor ( sterling whatever). They DO Have those parts in stock, but they just have a woefully outdated online ordering system that doesn't accurately represent what they actually have in stock
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:58 PM   #643
ebuzz is offline ebuzz  United States
diyAudio Member

Jeez,
I'd really like to try to make one of these machines, but don't really have access to lathes and other such machining tools. I'm not totally inept, but not an ace handyman either. Is it possible to build one without them? Does anyone have plans, instructions, parts lists on how to build this more simply? From the look of some of these lists, it seems quite complicated.
Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 03:49 PM   #644
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
Hi All,

Over hear in the UK or via ebay we can mostly Only get the 40hk cleaning baths at a reasonable price even the expensive ones are mostly 40hz or its not listed in the specs.....

That kind of leaves us with two types of 6 ltr, cleaning baths.
1, the push button control type with digital display. 175

Which it appears that these are the ones most of you guys are using.
Or this
2, the analog type with graduated knobs. 130
Both have much the same spec

So my question is which would be better to use, The simple analogue or the electronic displayed one.
Would vibration from the transducers cause problems?

Will want to order it soon as I have a 301 & a few Lencos to clean up in it first !

ebuzz,
These things are not difficult to make, look carefully at all the pictures!
Ill be building mine in the garden shed with very few tools etc no plans Or drawings just the basic knowledge of what the others on hear have already done. & use whatever materials come to hand.

Jay
Old 4th June 2014, 04:05 PM   #645
ebuzz is offline ebuzz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1234 View Post
Hi All,

ebuzz,
These things are not difficult to make, look carefully at all the pictures!
Ill be building mine in the garden shed with very few tools etc no plans Or drawings just the basic knowledge of what the others on hear have already done. & use whatever materials come to hand.

Jay
Thanks, I guess what I'm worried about is the motor and spindle parts. Not sure I'll know what kind to get, where to get them and what spindle will actually fit in the motor and thru the LP hole.
Old 4th June 2014, 05:26 PM   #646
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
although the RPMs are to high, I've used a motor from an old microwave oven to build a vacuum record cleaner, so the same principles apply.
You could use the gearbox parts from one motor & ad it another to get the very slow speeds required.
Drill extensions make good spindles.
As your in the US try Harbour Freight, when I lived in Montgomery Alabama I used to get all sorts of stuff from them

Jay
Old 14th June 2014, 04:20 AM   #647
Sprinter1104 is offline Sprinter1104  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All, this is my first post and wanted to say thanks for the inspiration to undertake this project. I found loads of helpful information and was able to evaluate all of the possible builds before settling on bbftx's version 2.

I made a couple of minor changes based on what I had available. I added a 1/2 inch conduit clamp to hold the filter discharge line. I also incorporated the use of wheel weights from a local tire shop as a counter balance. Other than that I think I used most all of the parts bbftx listed.

Thanks to LuckyTiger for this link Findings Outlet :: Tools :: Ultrasonics :: Sonix IV Ultrasonics, I was able to source the Sonix IV 136h for $450.00.

Again, thanks to bbftx for sharing his knowledge and experience.

Now if someone could tell me how to upload more than on picture at a time I'd be all set
Old 14th June 2014, 04:39 PM   #648
pcb121055 is offline pcb121055  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice cleaner... but what about that old ford?! you have a lift? I am so jealous.
Old 14th June 2014, 10:43 PM   #649
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sprinter's Build

Nice, Sprinter. That is a killer price on the Sonix machine. Great find by lucky tiger.

To load more pictures in a post, do as follows:
Click on "Go Advanced" under the reply box.
You'll get a window with a lot more icons across the top.
Click the Paper Clip icon. You should get a popup window that allows you to "Choose Files" to upload. You can attach multiple images this way.
Hit Preview Post and you'll see how they'll look in your post.

I agree with pcb too --- cool Ford. Was that a DIY project too?

Cheers,
B B
Old 15th June 2014, 01:28 AM   #650
Sprinter1104 is offline Sprinter1104  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, Ive had the Ford for about 15 years and during that time its been apart and put back together more times than I can count. Seems like there is always something to change or repair.

Now let's see if I can get these pics to load.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!