Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2018, 01:15 PM   #1941
kanchi is offline kanchi  United States
diyAudio Member

Images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E46404B-6F83-402C-ABAA-20F8F1ABBA17.jpg (831.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg B22CB0EB-3BA2-4D27-BFA7-C16227EE20AB.jpg (857.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 27th June 2018, 04:15 AM   #1942
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Those look like the older 60 KHZ units.
Old 29th June 2018, 02:37 PM   #1943
VibratoLLC is offline VibratoLLC  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchi View Post
Images

I used to work for Sonix IV and can confirm that those are 60khz Transducers, but are only 35 watts each.

The circuit board was redesigned by me, because there was a flaw with their original - two circuit board traces were too close and would arc, causing the board to burn and fail.

They also had a problem with the transducers cracking or falling off.

-Louis
Old 30th June 2018, 05:52 AM   #1944
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Louis, I'm curious about orientation of the transducers. I noticed that all the US cleaners the transducers are on the bottom. Is there a reason not to put them on the sides of a tank? The reason I ask is I have some spare Sonix transducers and thought puuting them on the side might add to the effectivness of the tank.

Last edited by Zg925; 30th June 2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 30th June 2018, 10:48 PM   #1945
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zg925 View Post
Louis, I'm curious about orientation of the transducers. I noticed that all the US cleaners the transducers are on the bottom. Is there a reason not to put them on the sides of a tank? The reason I ask is I have some spare Sonix transducers and thought puuting them on the side might add to the effectivness of the tank.

I believe the only issue is spacing. There isn't a lot of space between the enclosure and the tank. If it's too close, there could be arcing/shorting. Perhaps a coat of 'NoArc' or silicone.
The bottom of the tank is where the most vibrations can occur, since the sides are attached to the enclosures with glue/silicone, but side mounted transducers do work.
-Louis
Old 11th July 2018, 02:43 PM   #1946
diyAudio Member

Many of my posts from this forum have been moved to the Venders Bazaar, so I hope I may provide a link to it here, as I make announcements and post blog-type entries which may be useful to this community.
Ultrasonic Record Cleaning

-Louis
Old 11th July 2018, 03:14 PM   #1947
Packgrog is offline Packgrog  United States
diyAudio Member

Terrible photo, but here's my new pump & filter setup in action. I need to kludge together a clamp for the output hose, but this works surprisingly well and quietly. Parts list as follows (thanks to someone else here for most of this):

bayite BYT-7A015 DC 12V Solar Hot Water Heater Circulation Pump with DC Power Supply Adapter Low Noise 3M Head 8LPM 2.1GPM - - Amazon.com
Pentek 158110 3/8" #5 Slim Line Clear Filter Housing: Replacement Water Filters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Hydronix SDC-25-0501 NSF Sediment Filter 2.5" OD X 4 7/8" Length, 1 Micron: Industrial & Scientific
Watts SVIG10 Pre-Cut 1/2-Inch Diameter by 3/8-Inch Clear Vinyl Tubing, 10-Foot Length - Plumbing Hoses - Amazon.com
Banjo HB038-90 Polypropylene Hose Fitting, 90 Degree Elbow, 3/8" NPT Male x 3/8" Barbed: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB5WYVC/

Order total with free shipping was about $60. Does the trick! Got a couple of different nozzles from Kohl's and Home Depot since I needed 1/2" into the pump (pump came with 3/8") to match the output nozzle and hose of the tank drain, and the output nozzle from the filter hadn't arrived yet so I got a brass one instead out of impatience. :P

Once all parts were set, it was maybe 20 minutes to get everything working. Super easy, works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (793.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 11th July 2018, 03:25 PM   #1948
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice, packgrog. The pump specs say "30 db at 1 meter", which would be very quiet! Is that your experience with this unit?
Cheers
B B
Old 11th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #1949
Packgrog is offline Packgrog  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, damn near silent. But it pushes water just fine through the filter. I don't leave it on for that long in case I'm stressing it somehow, but it works just fine. I don't remember who (I believe in this thread) recommended the bayite, but good find, whoever you are! Cheap and no fuss!
Old 13th July 2018, 01:38 PM   #1950
kanchi is offline kanchi  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Packgrog. I ordered the parts..

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!