My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Thought so the minute I saw that comment, just confirmed my suspicions. Thanks again Dr. Polymer.

ps. I would think that would go for many dust collectors that use Ozone as the method of ionizing the air to attract the dust. And I don't think ozone is exactly a nice thing to breathe on a constant basis.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Thought so the minute I saw that comment, just confirmed my suspicions. Thanks again Dr. Polymer.

ps. I would think that would go for many dust collectors that use Ozone as the method of ionizing the air to attract the dust. And I don't think ozone is exactly a nice thing to breathe on a constant basis.
To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, Oh that ozone. I had some of that and it was just crazy. But in my defense, I was on cocaine at the time.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Brad,
You talking about the audio industry candy of the 80's there........ stuff was everywhere....

Ah the stories never to be told. I recall some anecdotes on the other diy forum about famous musicians and their rather poor performance when Charlie was prevalent in the studios. Such a strange illusion of competence it conveys, and how misguided. I believe I could detect the deterioration in Bill Evans' playing when he fell prey --- the music was there, still brilliant playing, but the soul was mostly gone, whereas with his other famous Jones, habituation left something intact.

There but for the grace...

Parts list

BBFTX, can you provide links to where you got the ultrasonic cleaner, the 5 rph motor, etc.?
Thanks, Gary

Gander,
I've provided a parts list in a pdf file that lists where every part was obtained.
It's attached to post 242 earlier in this thread. Here's a direct link:

Parts List for Version 2 of BB's URC machine

Let me know if that doesn't answer your questions.
Cheers,

B B

thanks to the fellow DIY'ers for the info and the inspiration.

still working on mine, but here's where I have done up to this point... most of the stuff is done, I just have to make it look nicer. The ultrasonic cleaner is a Crest 1.5 gal, motor is 1 rpm, DIY fabricated parts are made of .040" aluminum and .032 type 430BA stainless steel.

I cannot find some parts off the shelf, so I decided to make my own stopper, using a 1/4" thumb screw.

my design goal is to make it as convenient as possible to use

keeping the design as simple as possible

will be utilized as record clamp

Heater

Thanks for the posting on your RCM. I noticed from the pictures you have the model which includes the heater. Do you ever use the heater in you cleaning? Are you still satisfied with the Sonix IV cleaner?
K

Hello HiFi,

Yes, my Sonix IV does include a heater and I do use it when cleaning LPs. As long as there is enough fluid in the tank (fluid level just above the shoulder line in the tank), the temperature in mine maxes out at 120°F. This is not a problem for vinyl LPs, but I wouldn't let the bath get any hotter than that. Elevated temperature does help the cleaning action. But I do monitor the temperature very carefully and very frequently.
Given the way these units are made, I wouldn't trust every unit to max out at the same temperature, so testing and care is needed on each and every unit.

In general, I'm quite satisfied with the Sonix machine. 60kHz transducers are the biggest plus of this particular unit, as I think this cleaning action is most appropriate for LPs, both from a material perspective (60 kHz poses less risk for vinyl than 25 kHz or 40 kHz transducers) and from the ability to clean down to the bottom of the groove (cavitation bubble size of 60kHz transducers vs. 40 or 25 kHz).

Cheers,
B B

Any other transducers ?

I was wondering if a modified speaker magnet assembly might work as a transducer. Build a voice coil with an aluminum former and stick it to the bottom of the tank. I guess this will suffer from poor efficiency as compared to the piezo transducer. Might be tricky to implement also !
I haven't been through all of this thread . Is 40 Khz the optimum for cleaning vinyl discs or would 60 Khz be even better ? I have found a local supplier who claims 38Khz freq for their piezo transducers. On the Web I found something about 40Khz damaging glass sheets ! ( http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/transducer_types.htm )

Last edited:
I haven't been through all of this thread . Is 40 Khz the optimum for cleaning vinyl discs or would 60 Khz be even better ?

No, AIUI (from reading this and a couple of other threads about URCMs), 40Khz is certainly not optimal ... as the lower the speed, the larger the cavitation bubbles in the liquid. Smaller bubbles will have less chance of damaging the groove and will penetrate into the groove more readily. So 60KHz is better than 40KHz ... but, while 80KHz is even better, it is difficult to find one.

Regards,

Andy

BB and all ... this is a tremendous thread. Have read every word and now plan to build a USRM as described here. Not sure whether to use 60kHz or 80 kHz machine.

Your thread has reinvigorated my interest in my record collection. Of all the records I have about 30 that are mildewed - record and record cover. Have cleaned the external sides of the record covers but mildew also exists on the inside of the record covers. Does this mean the record covers should be discarded? Using Lysol citrus wipes to kill the mold on the covers. Wiping the inside of the covers results in split seams and does not seem to be sufficiently free of mildew to insert a newly USRM cleaned record.
Apologize if this is off topic.

LP Cover Restoration

BB and all ... this is a tremendous thread. Have read every word and now plan to build a USRM as described here.

Of all the records I have about 30 that are mildewed - record and record cover. Have cleaned the external sides of the record covers but mildew also exists on the inside of the record covers. Does this mean the record covers should be discarded? Using Lysol citrus wipes to kill the mold on the covers. Wiping the inside of the covers results in split seams and does not seem to be sufficiently free of mildew to insert a newly USRM cleaned record.

Hi Atlanta,
I don't have many, but in cases where I have "yucky" or even a split cover that I don't feel comfortable putting a record in, I don't put the record in!
I've tossed just a couple of really bad ones, but generally I'll clean the cover as best I can, and store the LP outside the cover in a plastic sleeve and a blank cardboard sleeve. I keep the damaged cover and the separately packaged record together on the shelf.

I like LP cover art and photos; that drives saving some otherwise useless covers.

Here are some good restoration tips for LP covers. Note his suggestions about dealing with mildew.
LPCover Lover | Restoration Tips

Good luck with your build!

Cheers,
B B