Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2015, 11:23 PM   #1161
jmczaja is offline jmczaja  United States
diyAudio Member

Definitely, no clogs.. Is there some sort of manual for the Little Giant pump? All the sites it is sold on mentions it can be used for 'water displays' and 'fountains'. I assumed it could be run constantly. Either way, when i turn it on at this point, the fan barely spins and it doesn't pump anything! ha..
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:28 PM   #1162
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickmike View Post
I had to buy a stepper motor driver to get the motor to turn (super cheap, just a couple of quid from eBay and it even has a remote control).
Can you post a link for that?
Old 24th June 2015, 05:59 AM   #1163
thickmike is offline thickmike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DIY Adjustable Speed Stepper Motor Driver Controller Board with Remote Control | eBay

It runs a little hot, so I plan to add a little heat sink when I make the unit for real.
Old 24th June 2015, 09:39 PM   #1164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
These pumps aren't meant to be run constantly. You only need to run the pump for about 3 minutes to filter the cleaning fluid. Then turn it off and complete another cleaning cycle before you filter again for about 3 minutes.

Also, make sure your tank outlet is not plugged up and that plenty of fluid is getting to the pump intake.
Cheers,
B B
Also, just to clear up running the pump constantly, this is straight from Franklin Electric (owners of Little Giant):

"It is considered a continuous duty pump, so yes it can run constantly.

Ed"

Just a bit of useful info..

-jay
Old 24th June 2015, 10:10 PM   #1165
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
Also, just to clear up running the pump constantly, this is straight from Franklin Electric (owners of Little Giant):

"It is considered a continuous duty pump, so yes it can run constantly.

Ed"

-jay
Hey Jay,
These pumps really aren't very robust, and if other parameters are pushed to the limit, running constantly is not a great idea in my opinion, no matter what our friend "Ed" says.

The temp limit for the plastic and gaskets used in this pump is 120F. In my setup, I'm pushing right against this limit with my fluid temp, so I wouldn't dream of running continuously. [It's asking for trouble unless the fluid is a room temp fountain.] The pump temp will eventually rise to over 120F due to the fluid temp and the added heat from the motor if it's enclosed in a small enclosure. Mine is relatively small, so even though I've accommodated airflow through the pump/motor enclosure, running constantly would take it over the temp limit. That's why I choose to limit the duty cycle.

Trying to troubleshoot your problem, what type of enclosure is your pump in --- good airflow? Also, what type of filter are you using and how does it look now after some use? Does the pump still run slow if it's not trying to push fluid through the filter? Some pics of your setup might help prompt ideas from the group on other possible trouble-spots.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 24th June 2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:21 PM   #1166
diyAudio Member

Hey BB, thanks for chiming in..

I ran, the pump with the water temp staying constantly at 110 degrees and after about 5 minutes you can literally see the fan spinning A LOT slower and the water barely trickling from the outlet.. For my trial run of the US cleaner, the pump is not is any housing at all and using same exact filter you recommended. After cleaning about 15 records, I stopped. I drained everything and checked the filter and it wasn't really that dirty. I saw some debris on the outside of the filter but nothing alarming or crazy for that matter. Most of the records i cleaned were relatively clean already.

Even without pumping water the pump was running slow. I'm fairly certain there's something suspect with the pump itself.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:35 PM   #1167
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
Hey BB, thanks for chiming in..
Even without pumping water the pump was running slow. I'm fairly certain there's something suspect with the pump itself.
Did you ask Ed/Franklin if they'd replace the pump?
Old 24th June 2015, 10:38 PM   #1168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Did you ask Ed/Franklin if they'd replace the pump?
Sure did.. They said warranties are handled by their distributers and to contact the place i purchased it from. I'm still waiting to hear back but I'll phone them tomorrow and try to speed things along.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:40 PM   #1169
Kindhornman is offline Kindhornman  United States
diyAudio Member

Those pumps are meant for room temperature only. Once you heat them up the simple bearings and the shaft clearance will close up and destroy the pump if not burn out the motor. I would look for a very small pump intended to pump a heated fluid if I was doing this. A simple vane pump or small impeller pump from someone like Grainger's should be able to run all day and night, no problems.
Old 25th June 2015, 01:32 PM   #1170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Those pumps are meant for room temperature only.
This LG pump is used in hot beverage dispensers. It works in that application, (and for this URC application) at lower duty cycles because of the intermittent use. You pump out a beverage and then stop for a while. Hence my operating parameters of 3 minutes on, and rest/cool for a cleaning cycle (10-12 minutes).
No issues at all with this pump operating this way.
Cheers,
B B

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!