My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 07:39 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Default Missing images

Looks like my images didn't post, I'll try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old6QT_SIV.jpg (48.5 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg GemOro1705.JPG (291.6 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg New6QT_SIV_ST136.jpg (27.8 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg GemOro1725.jpg (11.7 KB, 712 views)
Old 16th September 2012, 02:01 AM   #82
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sonix Heater Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
The top of the tank above the waterline can get very hot if you leave the heater on ---- I'm talking boiling point hot (even though the liquid isn't anywhere near that hot).
I just finished cleaning a large batch of records on my URC. I was more aggressive with the heater on the ultrasonic machine, while closely monitoring the water and machine temps.

As long as I had the fluid level up to and just above an internal shoulder (fill line) in the tank that is about 1-1/8" below the top lip of the Sonix, the temperature remained in control. Even the top edge of the tank didn't get scalding hot.

With the heater on constantly, the liquid in the tub seemed to max out and maintain 120F. This is not too hot for vinyl and while very warm, isn't unbearable for fingers either.

I'm now comfortable leaving the heater on to run a complete cycle (12 min), as long as the fluid level is above the fill line. I check water temp before and after each cycle. Please check your own machine though, as I'm sure there might be variation from unit to unit and manufacturer to manufacturer.
BB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonix fluid level heater.jpg (75.1 KB, 698 views)

Last edited by bbftx; 16th September 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 16th September 2012, 02:17 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

How many lps did you clean in this batch and did you use the same solution for the entire run?
Old 16th September 2012, 02:27 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Addict,
10 cycles for total of 30 records. Yes, same solution for all. Just drained it. These were fairly clean records --- no real grungy ones. The solution probably could have gone longer. Some dirt particles at the bottom of the tank. Solution still had faint IPA smell and was still "slippery" from Photo Flo surfactant.
Old 16th September 2012, 02:34 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Nice! I have all my parts on order except the electric motor which is on back order unfortunately. I am trying to find another distributor for the Synchron H1-46 or 47. Hopefully I can get that sorted sooner than later.
Old 16th September 2012, 03:10 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning Solution Filter

You've got me thinking about extending cleaning solution life, Addict.

I think it would be fairly easy to rig up an inexpensive aquarium pump with an inline, sub-micron filter. It could probably be done for $20-30 all-in I bet.

Your ultrasonic cleaner would have to have a drain, as I don't think there is room for a submersible pump and filter in the tank. You could just hook up the drain to the pump inlet and filter using some flexible tubing. Then, pump the filtered cleaning solution back into the top of the tank. You could circulate in between record batches, or probably even filter while the records are being cleaned.
Old 16th September 2012, 07:24 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

BB,

Thanks for the update on your explorations on the temperature issue. According to this article, I was probably too conservative about how much heat vinyl can take in an earlier post. It's interesting that the suggested range, 140 - 170 degrees F, is the same as the preset range on the GemOro, according to what I was told.

I'm also interested in filtering, and possibly a rinse step as well. This is based on the Cleaning Efficiency table, about midway through this article, as well as experience and common wisdom with multi-step vacuum cleaning systems.

On another question, is there a reason to prefer completing the entire clean cycle in one revolution, or would it be just as good to spread it out over 2, 3 or 4 revolutions? For example, one could get the same cleaning exposure as your current cycle of one revolution at 5 RPH by choosing, for example, a three-revolution cycle at 15 RPH (or 4 revolutions at 20 RPH). This would afford more choices in finding a suitable motor (maybe Addict would find one in stock). I think that 3-4 minutes per revolution would still be slow enough to allow the water to drain down the grooves w/o dripping into the label area. It would also provide flexibility to experiment with shorter cleaning cycles.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post

To rotate the records, I wanted to minimize motion in the cleaning solution. My target was a 4 minute cleaning time for the vinyl surface. Given that about 1/3 of the record is submerged in the solution at any moment, the math told me to find a 5 revolution per HOUR synchronous motor. Synchron makes such motors in almost any rph or rpm you could want. The 5rph motor yields a 12 minute rotation time. My plan is 1 rotation = 1 cleaning cycle.
Hi BB,

I still have been unable to find a suitable motor so I am going to put one one back order with H&R....should arrive by the end of the month. I was wondering if you can give me a part number for the 2 wire line cord with plug and switch?
Old 18th September 2012, 12:47 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyladdict View Post
Hi BB,

I still have been unable to find a suitable motor so I am going to put one one back order with H&R....should arrive by the end of the month. I was wondering if you can give me a part number for the 2 wire line cord with plug and switch?
Addict,
Any cord you want to use will work. The one I got from H&R is part no. TM93LIN2352
On the motor, there are other distributors. Call Hansen, the manufacturer, and get their part number. H1-46 and 47 are H&R part nos.

Ish- I do think it's better to leave the surface you're cleaning in the bath for 4 min. straight. Eight 30 sec periods in the tank does NOT equal 1 continuous 4 min exposure. If you're in 30 sec, out one minute, then in, then out, everything dries out in between. The tough grime you're trying to get off may not be dislodged in 30 sec. If it dries, you're just starting over from scratch in my opinion.
BB
Old 18th September 2012, 01:20 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. After your post I found the contact info for the Canadian rep for Hansen. Will call him tomorrow to see if we can get this machine built!

Hide this!Advertise here!