My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2014, 12:59 AM   #691
tomhail is offline tomhail  United States
diyAudio Member

Update to ammo can project: Received the Vibratto last week, disassembled and mounted in a large ammo can (plenty of room for internal pump). Made a mistake and I am currently remounting the transducers. Louis has been very helpful with advice and easy to communicate with. This coming weekend I'll have the unit completely installed in it's new case and hope to have the motor and spindle mounted and wired. Once I have a working unit I will post some pictures to give others' some ideas to maybe improve on. Honestly, with a jigsaw and grinder it is not very demanding to mount the vibratto into an ammo can - durable, interesting, portable, and give lots of space for pumps and great mounting surface for the spindle, arm, and motor.
Old 25th July 2014, 08:21 PM   #692
azteca is offline azteca  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr. Vibrato, what sort of price difference is there between 60 and 80kHz transducers? And how are things going otherwise?

Thanks!
Old 28th July 2014, 10:27 AM   #693
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

With respect, Louis ... you need to provide some directions for us punters (who are over 30!)

I cut your mention of "Vibrato, LLC" ... pasted it into Google and then clicked on 'Tindie' ... and didn't get an immediate feed to your site?

So I have absof'inglutely no idea how to:
* find your product,
* get the specs of it, and
* order it.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? (Which, for an excellent eBusiness site, you shouldn't have to - it should be all straight forward for the punters.)

Regards,

Andy
Old 28th July 2014, 10:45 AM   #694
ungie is offline ungie  Canada
diyAudio Member

Strange...I entered Vibrato LLC Tindie into Google and this came up as the first hit:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/VibratoLLC/
Old 28th July 2014, 11:17 AM   #695
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungie View Post
Strange...I entered Vibrato LLC Tindie into Google and this came up as the first hit:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/VibratoLLC/
Well that is interesting! I got a different page.

Andy
Old 28th July 2014, 08:04 PM   #696
cmhuff is offline cmhuff  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally got my rough setup running using some of bbftx's parts list and other odds and ends around the house and from Lowes/Home Depot (I am using the same 5 rph motor bbftx suggested). I bought the Sonix IV ST126H from FindingsOutlet.com. It is the same brand Luckytiger is using only mine is a 10.8 quart tank.

I have cleaned about 25-30 LPs in two separate cleaning sessions using a little over 2 gallons of distilled water, about 5 oz. of 91% isopropyl, and 5 or so drops of Kodak Photo Flo. I have started with a fresh cleaning solution each time which has been degaussed for 10-15 minutes. The heater has been turned on during the degaussing and then I stir the tank to even out the temps before cleaning. I have made sure to take temp readings at various areas of the tank and shoot for 100-105 degrees F before starting the cycle with the heater off. I have experimented with 3, 5, and 7 LPs on my spindle with ~1" spacers between them and have found 7 to be too many for my current spindle setup even though the tank will support them.

I have achieved great results so far and notice a huge difference on many of the LPs I listened to before and after. To start I cleaned a hand full of my mother's damaged 60's-70's LPs which were in a basement during a minor flood as my "test run". Many had mold and scratches all over them. I couldn't believe how much better these looked after the initial cleaning! I listened to her "Meet the Beatles" Mono and was amazed at how good it sounded compared to how it looked.

I have a couple questions:

1) Has anyone else experienced having build up/gunk on their needle which is hard to remove after playing an album they just cleaned? I have experienced this on a few albums and I am skimming the surface with a small fish net between batches.

2) Does any one have a suggestion for a clamp for a 1/4" steel rod? I am currently using two black metal paper clips with 1/4" holes drilled in them to clamp each end. I am looking for something with a set screw or a thumb screw to make things easier.

I will try to post some pics of my setup later. A big thank you everyone for all of your contributions to this thread!
Old 29th July 2014, 12:02 AM   #697
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhuff View Post

1) Has anyone else experienced having build up/gunk on their needle which is hard to remove after playing an album they just cleaned? I have experienced this on a few albums and I am skimming the surface with a small fish net between batches.

2) Does any one have a suggestion for a clamp for a 1/4" steel rod? I am currently using two black metal paper clips with 1/4" holes drilled in them to clamp each end. I am looking for something with a set screw or a thumb screw to make things easier.

I will try to post some pics of my setup later. A big thank you everyone for all of your contributions to this thread!
I have not seen any evidence of build up on my cartridge. I'm using a similar home brew to yours with the exception of a couple drops of Palmolive in place of photo flo. I also run my fluid temps a little higher at 120*.

As far as a clamp, I use a small suction cup with a whole in the center, pressed over the spindle snug against the cork stopper. It's a friction fit that is easy to install and remove. It's visible in the attached photo next to the cork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (721.7 KB, 555 views)
Old 29th July 2014, 01:30 AM   #698
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a site for some collars and clamps that will work on the 1/4" shaft. Has other cool parts too.
Collars

Last edited by Zg925; 29th July 2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 01:27 PM   #699
diyAudio Member

Default questions re: bbtfx's BOM

Greetings. I'm grateful to all who have helped advance this design, especially to BB for continued assistance. If I may tap into that... I've read the entire thread, so I don't think this is a redundant question, apologies if I've somehow missed it.

For a Sonix IV, ST136H, following bbtfx's v2 build:

W1 Drill Rod, 9/32" diameter
2" Aluminum Angle Stock, 1/16" thick, 6063 Architectural Equal Leg
3/4" Aluminum Channel Stock, 1/2" deep, 1/16" thick
1" plated steel angle, 11 ga.

- What length is needed for the aluminum angle and channel parts?

- If I can only find 1/8" thickness, will that pose much of a problem, such as weight imbalance or clearance?

- Is the 1" plated steel angle a 1x1"?

- A source for each of these parts? Hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel where possible, and happy to share any new finds.

Thanks!
Old 30th July 2014, 07:15 PM   #700
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kywoman View Post
For a Sonix IV, ST136H, following bbtfx's v2 build:

W1 Drill Rod, 9/32" diameter
2" Aluminum Angle Stock, 1/16" thick, 6063 Architectural Equal Leg
3/4" Aluminum Channel Stock, 1/2" deep, 1/16" thick
1" plated steel angle, 11 ga.

- What length is needed for the aluminum angle and channel parts?

- If I can only find 1/8" thickness, will that pose much of a problem, such as weight imbalance or clearance?

- Is the 1" plated steel angle a 1x1"?

- A source for each of these parts? Hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel where possible, and happy to share any new finds.

Thanks!
Hi Kywoman,
Does that mean you are in Kentucky?

The angle and channel components were chosen because they tend to be available at most neighborhood hardware stores. They typically come in 4' lengths which you can then cut to size for the parts needed for your project. 4' long is plenty for the project if I remember correctly. You can order these types of items online, but they tend to be expensive when bought that way due to shipping costs.

I didn't provide exact measurements as I assumed folks would be using a variety of different UC tanks as their starting point.

The plated steel angle is 1"x1".

You'd be ok with ⅛" instead of 1/16" thick angle. It will make for a very sturdy and overly heavy setup, at slightly higher cost, but it could be made to work.

Let me know if you need more info.
B B

Hide this!Advertise here!