My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2013, 02:30 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

I just purchased the aquarium filter at this link: Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Marineland H.O.T. Hang On Tank Magnum Canister Filters

(the canister filter, not the "PRO")

After a cleaning session, I hang it on the side of the US tank and let it run for an hour. Does a great job, it's self-contained, and at $45 it's worth every penny.
Old 24th September 2013, 03:03 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

What is the spec of the filters that are used to clean the water. Micron size ? Typically what would the surface area of the filter be ?
How often and when would you clean the filter ? Everytime it is used I guess to avoid any muck from drying up on the filter surface.
Thanks.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:06 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

My Sonix VI ST136H arrived earlier than expected .

I guess I have a new project on my agenda...after I finish recapping my Pilot 240.
Old 26th September 2013, 03:38 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

Aquarium Surface Skimmer

Try this for a surface skimmer as well as lower level intake. Mates easily (supposedly) with that Magnum filter.
Btw, there is a one micron filter cartridge available or included with those Magnums.

Last edited by WntrMute2; 26th September 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 26th September 2013, 11:36 PM   #405
triode4 is offline triode4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WntrMute2 View Post
Aquarium Surface Skimmer

Try this for a surface skimmer as well as lower level intake. Mates easily (supposedly) with that Magnum filter.
Btw, there is a one micron filter cartridge available or included with those Magnums.
How short can these go? I measure about 5 inches from the bottom to the top of the water line. The dimensions say it is 11 1/2" long, or am I reading that wrong? Maybe the hose is the 11 1/2" dimension. If it is just 4 1/2" high it would be perfect!
Old 28th September 2013, 03:28 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Discuss the Soniv IV ST136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
My Sonix VI ST136H arrived earlier than expected .

I guess I have a new project on my agenda...after I finish recapping my Pilot 240.
Alan, The website for the ST136H does not discuss what seems to be important charaterisitrcs of this unit. Can you answer the questions?

Is the unit 60,000 hz? Or 40,000 hz?

Can the heater be turned off once you have reached your optimal temperasture or does it stay on as long as the unit has power to it or the ultrasonic devices are powered?

Thanks, Good luck on your build.

Wrinklestex

Last edited by Wrinklestex; 28th September 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 12:17 PM   #407
diyAudio Member

Default ST136H answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklestex View Post
Alan, The website for the ST136H does not discuss what seems to be important charaterisitrcs of this unit. Can you answer the questions?

Is the unit 60,000 hz? Or 40,000 hz?

Can the heater be turned off once you have reached your optimal temperasture or does it stay on as long as the unit has power to it or the ultrasonic devices are powered?

Thanks, Good luck on your build.

Wrinklestex
I received an email from Mr. Alan Cohen answering my questions and wanted to share with the rest who may have the same or similar questions.

This ultrasonic cleaner Model ST136H is a 60 khz model.
The heater turns on and off via a switch controlled by you.
No thermostat on this unit.

Thankyou Alan Cohen.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:58 AM   #408
diyAudio Member

Hi there, i actually bought the ultrasonic cleaner already and getting ready to fabricate the topside. What are your findings with the multiple records? Do the records get cleaned well still? You didn't seem to include rotating microfibre brushes..
Would you have a plan i could use to go about the topside?
Thanks very much!
Old 6th October 2013, 01:11 PM   #409
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Loading and URC Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojofish View Post
What are your findings with the multiple records? Do the records get cleaned well still? You didn't seem to include rotating microfibre brushes..
Would you have a plan i could use to go about the topside?
Hi Mojofish
Loading Multiple Records: The combined power of the transducers and their ability to clean a given amount of surface area determine how many records can be cleaned at one time. The limit for the typical 6 qt cleaner is 3 to 4 records, given the surface area of the records. I definitely recommend against putting in 6 or 8 or 10 records at a time, because they won't getting fully cleaned. The math is explained in the post linked here:
Loading and Spacing of Records in an URC

Brushes: The whole point of ultrasonic cleaning, in my opinion, is to eliminate contact cleaning methods. Brushes collect dirt and impurities. Putting brushes in the bath also impacts the ability of the URC to clean --- too much surface area in the bath!

Platform / Topside: I don't have a plan drawn up. It would depend on the dimensions of the Ultrasonic cleaner you're using --- and the materials and tools you have available. (example: I used an air riveter to fasten my frame together. Some of my parts had to be dimensioned to allow the nose of the air riveter to get where it needed to be. If one was using nuts and bolts instead, the part dimensions would be different to simplify machining.) Also, if you're using slightly different mounting arrangements for the motor and spindle, the geometry of each particular machine will impact where you mount the hinge ---- there needs to be some hands-on mock up work to get the geometry correct.

Cheers,
B B
Old 9th October 2013, 11:02 PM   #410
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Just for information's sake, here are the bearing and coupling people I have used for years, seriously, going on 40 years now.

Manufacturer of Precision Components | Spur Gears | Sprockets | Timing Belts | Timing Pulleys | Miniature Bearings | Shafts | WM BERG Engineered Mechanical Components

Hide this!Advertise here!