Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2013, 02:07 PM   #391
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default It's About Continuous Cleaning Time, not Single Immersion

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
Since a single immersion is best, then you really only want a little more than half of a revolution, theoretically. Since a good portion of the vinyl is in the solution at start-up, a full revolution will have that portion resubmerged.
Hi Peter,
The overarching requirement is to reach a certain minimum, continuous time in the bath, rather than "I will only immerse once."
Say a person considers the minimum effective cleaning time is 3 minutes and is using a 5 rph motor. Much of the LP that starts immersed in the fluid comes out of the bath quickly, in less than 3 minutes, before there is enough time to clean effectively. It dries, and that section needs to immersed again to reach the minimum continuous cleaning time.

So technically, you could do it in just less than 1 rotation, but it's ok to leave the LP in longer. And it's easier to monitor. I use a red mark on my outside spacer to track progress of the cycle and stop after one rotation.
B B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spin time.002.jpg (28.2 KB, 328 views)
Old 15th September 2013, 02:18 PM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Hi Peter,
The overarching requirement is to reach a certain minimum, continuous time in the bath, rather than "I will only immerse once."
Say a person considers the minimum effective cleaning time is 3 minutes and is using a 5 rph motor. Much of the LP that starts immersed in the fluid comes out of the bath quickly, in less than 3 minutes, before there is enough time to clean effectively. It dries, and that section needs to immersed again to reach the minimum continuous cleaning time.

So technically, you could do it in just less than 1 rotation, but it's ok to leave the LP in longer. And it's easier to monitor. I use a red mark on my outside spacer to track progress of the cycle and stop after one rotation.
B B
Good point. I can tell you've been thinking through this a lot longer than I have.

I have the pump, filter & housing, and only need a fitting or two and that aspect of the URC will be done. BTW, my pump is the same one you have from surpluscenter.com; it's a beaut.
Old 15th September 2013, 03:06 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

How do you keep dust from depositing on your albums as you remove them from the tank (or do you deal with it after-the-fact)? Dust comes off when you start your cleaning cycle, and some of it floats. When you remove the albums, it sticks to their surface.

I wipe my albums down with a microfiber towel before removing them from the spindle. Just curious as to how others are approaching this. . .
Old 15th September 2013, 03:20 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrofe View Post
How do you keep dust from depositing on your albums as you remove them from the tank (or do you deal with it after-the-fact)? Dust comes off when you start your cleaning cycle, and some of it floats. When you remove the albums, it sticks to their surface.
Yes, I sometimes get floaters that won't be sucked into the filter system and leave a light band of debris at the waterline when I remove the LP from the tank.

What I've taken to doing when that happens is using the output tube from my filter setup to rinse off that band of debris into a waste container I keep nearby. I'll also skim the top of the bath frequently --- you can use a very fine mesh net sold in aquarium stores for this purpose.
B B
Old 15th September 2013, 04:37 PM   #395
diyAudio Member

Maybe you should try to remove the floating debri in some way so that the water surface is clean when removing the albums. Maybe a suction pump pulling off water from the surface and filtering it and recycling it back ?

What about a double chamber.

Inner chamber overflows to outer chamber from where the liquid is pumped through a filter back to the inner chamber ! That would eliminate muck floating on the surface.

About rotation, I would think that you need a full rotation plus a bit more to ensure that all parts of the disc do get 4 mins or whatever in the cleaning solution. Can we not use stepper motors from old printers to do the rotation ? It can be controlled by a micro controller which can also handle the filter pump. You can then also control rotation speed depending on how dirty the disc is . Maybe the jerk at each step will also help dislodge muck on the disc.

Last edited by ashok; 15th September 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 15th September 2013, 05:41 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

These are great ideas Ashok. I started looking at double chamber, weir, and skimmer setups, but was scared off by cost and complexity considerations. I'm sure it can be done if someone puts their mind to it.
B B
Old 16th September 2013, 04:00 AM   #397
diyAudio Member

I was planning on connecting the input line for my pump to the drain valve on the tank, but am now thinking it might should be at the surface, with the filtered water re-entering at the bottom, similar to a swimming pool. My first and only session of cleaning records saw plenty of debris at the bottom of the tank, but with this new thought about scum and skimmers, perhaps that debris would be best left at the bottom and more attention paid to the gunk that might have a chance of clinging to the vinyl as it rotates out of the solution.
Old 21st September 2013, 10:47 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Default Pump Alternative

I've been told Surplus Center is sold out of the Little Giant Beverage Pump for $15 used in my filter setup. This pump runs about $50 elsewhere. Someone asked for an alternative. I'll look for one and post ideas

Good luck,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 21st September 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:04 PM   #399
diyAudio Member

Before I chose the one that you list in your parts list, I was looking at pumps similar to the one you link to, but passed on them. The reason was that I was locked in on the idea of having an inlet for the pump which could connect to the drain valve on my machine. But now that I think more on the subject, it may make perfect sense to have the pump at the bottom of the tank, with a tube coming out to a filter and then back to the top of the tank.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:45 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

Default Pump Alternative

Peter, on second thought, I don't think submersible is the way to go. Ultrasonic action will eventually eat up the pump and one needs a large external filter anyway.

So as one alternative to the Little Giant pump, I'd suggest using this pump inline:

UP-270 pump

It doesn't need an enclosure, so one would save some money there, but it's a little more expensive than the Little Giant setup.
good luck,
B B

Hide this!Advertise here!