Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 04:08 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
I'm finding that I'll get up to 12 records cleaned per hour over a longer session. But, I haven't run that many batches yet.
Thanks for the speedy reply. The 12/hr number is using 3 records per batch as per your photos at the beginning of the thread? How much fluid in your tub?

I am a bit of a DIY noob so I would like to copy your design if you don't mind. I am trying to put together a parts list so I can start sourcing all of the necessary components of the mounting system and motor. If you don't mind sharing I would be grateful.
Old 7th September 2012, 09:09 PM   #32
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default URC Parts List - First Pass

Happy to share Addict.
But I don't have a complete, final parts list of my own yet, as I'm doing a fair bit of "figuring it out" as I go, and am continuing to revise bits and pieces as I use the machine.

Some of your build will depend on the exact geometry of your Ultrasonic Cleaner. They all vary in size and dimensions to some extent, and that affects the parts you'll need.
You'll notice that while kgturner's build in this thread is similar in concept to mine, he's using different families of parts and his mounting layout is a bit different.

Your parts list will also depend on the tools you have at your disposal. Example: I have a metalworking lathe, so it was easy for my to fashion a precise spindle that snugly fits both the record holes and fits over the shaft of my motor, without the need of a separate coupling to join the shaft and the spindle. Without a lathe, you'll need to find a coupling to match the diameters of the motor shaft and spindle you're using.

Also, some of my parts are just spare bits and pieces of hardware I happen to have laying about.

I'll start by labeling a photo of the current build and begin a spreadsheet that I can update.
Versions as of today are both attachments to this post. Excuse any errors and omissions at this point.

As to the fluid and number of records: Yes, I'm doing 3 LPs per cleaning cycle. I'm filling my 6 quart tank with right about 5 quarts of cleaning solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg URC Parts Key.001.jpg (258.9 KB, 962 views)
File Type: jpg Motor-Box-Support-10A_8760.jpg (45.1 KB, 929 views)
File Type: jpg Spindle-Support-10A_8759.jpg (70.7 KB, 873 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf urc parts list.xlsx.pdf (39.7 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by bbftx; 7th September 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 09:26 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

BB - Thanks so much! Above and beyond and much more detailed than I had ever hoped for! I really appreciate the effort and time you took to do this.

Cheers
Old 7th September 2012, 09:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

A note on the "Spindle Support" I added. This isn't strictly needed, but with a fully loaded spindle, there is some give in the plastic parts and there is some downward torque on the motor shaft. The spindle doesn't support much weight, but helps keep the spindle horizontal and reduces stress on the motor shaft and gearbox in the Synchron motor.

You could put in a nice bearing on this support if you're super attentive to detail. But, since the rotation is quite slow, there is little weight load on the support, and the lifetime of the machine will probably only see about 1000 rotations, this simple support surface is entirely adequate (and inexpensive since it's just some miscellaneous window shade-type brackets and felt I had laying about. It is clamped over the lip of the UC --- no holes needed in the UC.
Old 8th September 2012, 06:43 AM   #35
Arno Pf is offline Arno Pf  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

But... how much better does your vinyl sound after cleaning??
Old 8th September 2012, 11:10 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno Pf View Post
But... how much better does your vinyl sound after cleaning??
Hi Arno
My vinyl sounds MUCH better after ultrasonic cleaning. As I first stated in message #9 in this thread, background noise is dramatically reduced --- better than the average record coming off of my VPI cleaner.

Fewer pops, hiss, crackles. Cleaner attacks on notes, better soundstaging, and more clarity from each instrument or voice.

I think ultrasonic cleaning is a superior method to produce better sound.
Cheers,
Old 8th September 2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Arno Pf is offline Arno Pf  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just a thought....would it be the ultimate method to have Ultra + Brush and perhaps a two-stage cleaning process?
Old 8th September 2012, 11:55 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

To each his own, but I am not a fan of brushes and contact methods of cleaning. UC is clearly doing a better job, for me, on it's own. The whole point of UC is to avoid contact and to clean into surface features where brushes can't reach.

If one does a brush method first, before UC, they risk pushing some dirt deeper in the grooves and lodging it there, or even damaging the grooves, making it more difficult for the UC cycle to succeed.

If one does a brush method after UC, they risk transfering contaminants on the brush from prior cleanings onto a fairly clean record, or again, damaging the record.

Putting brushes in the UC tank is foolish, as the added surface area of the brushes and supports would overload the cleaning capacity of the UC and take that energy away from what you're really trying to clean -- the LP.
Old 8th September 2012, 04:44 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Drying step?

Hi. Very nice work!

What is your method for drying after UC? Do you remove LPs to a separate rack for air dry?

I take your point about avoiding contact, but would think a vacuum only to dry, or perhaps even a final rinse with DI water, would have little risk of cross contamination if you reserve brush and vacuum tube for this purpose only. If a record fresh from UC can contaminate the next one, then it must have some dirt left to remove.

I guess it's a trade off: (instant dry + possible improvement by removing that last bit of film and dirt from the bath water) vs. (avoiding contact and all the hassle and risk of manual vacuuming).
Old 8th September 2012, 05:08 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hi Ishmail,
My rotation speed is so slow, that most of the record surface is dry when my 1 rotation is complete. Just the section that is submerged at the end of the cycle is wet. So far, I either lift the arm and let it drip and air dry, or I stand up the LPs in a dish rack-type LP stand I have.
I've toyed with the idea of having several spindles, such that I could just leave the drying records on the spindle (then set the spindle or even spin dry!), and then put another loaded spindle on the machine. I'll probably do this, just haven't fabbed the additional spindles yet.
Depending on your cleaning solution formulation and level of enthusiasm/dedication/passion, some folks might want to do a DI rinse.
I don't feel it's necessary.

I've got an almost clear LP (by the band Everclear) that I cleaned on my VPI. There was a disturbing amount of stuff left on it. Haven't tried that with the URC yet, but I will try it and report back here at some point, if I can get some pics to turn out.

Hide this!Advertise here!