My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Ok, I"ve read most pages. So far for those of us who aren't quite as savvy as you guys, I can buy the motor/spindle assembly and the ultrasonic unit from Louis and I'll be set??? also, what have you all come up with for the best fluid? Is there something with no alcohol? Could you use the Spin clean fluid that encapsulates the dirt and drops to the bottom? Do you need a filter unit or just clean and refill every X amount of records cleaned? thanks all. Amazing thread.

Finally Finished

Well, I finally got mine done. Yeah, it's butt ugly because I can't drill a hole straight and I can't line things you straight, but it's finished and it works!
Much, much thanks to BBFTX for I hounded him ceaselessly.
Will try and upload a photo, but I'm having issues trying to up load. For some reason, nothing appears on my desktop where I put the photo when I get to the upload screen. This happened in another forum when I tried to upload.
Can't figure it out.

Well, mine seems to be working fine, but I've only tried it on some older LPs so far, a label got lil wet. I can't really tell how well the unit is generating US waves never having a US cleaner before. It there a test?
Also, I've found that the weight of 3 LPs causes the shaft to sag and hit the bushing and not turn. Two work ok as long as I wedge a piece of metal under the shaft to lift.
What I do wrong?
Thanks

Well, mine seems to be working fine, but I've only tried it on some older LPs so far, a label got lil wet. I can't really tell how well the unit is generating US waves never having a US cleaner before. It there a test?
Also, I've found that the weight of 3 LPs causes the shaft to sag and hit the bushing and not turn. Two work ok as long as I wedge a piece of metal under the shaft to lift.
What I do wrong?
If the bushing and bushing housing are aligned well with the output shaft on the motor, and the motor and housing are not loose, you shouldn't have any sag when the spindle is loaded. If aligned properly, and the bushing is sized properly for your shaft, there should be no need to support the free end of the spindle. You might have to put a shim under your bearing housing if the hole is slightly lower than the shaft. And, you might have to make slight adjustments in the angle of the bearing housing to make sure it's lined up properly.
Cheers,
B B

Filter

Hey BB,
Do you run your filter setup while cleaning wth the US Cleaner on or between cleaning records?

Hi Zg,
I've done both: kept the filter running while cleaning and just using between batches. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my opinion, but I lean toward leaving it on for about 3 minutes at a time during or after every other cleaning cycle or so. There should be no need to leave the pump on all the time.

I think the biggest concern is just not to overwork the motor on whatever pump you have. My fan-cooled LittleGiant pump seems perfectly happy to chug along for extended periods, but many of the small oscillatory pumps for example, should be limited to a 50% duty cycle (e.g. on 2 minutes, off at least 2 minutes).

What kind of pump do you have?
B B

Since I was barely able to build the cleaner, I'm not about to try a filter system. That being said, how may records would one expect to clean from one tank? (I know it's variable, but just a best guess will be fine.)
Also, would it be ill advised to use an additional substance in the clearer, like Walker enzymes or other LP cleaning solution?
thanks

Haven't really picked a pump yet even though I have couple of unused new ones for a fish tank. The problem is I think they're overkill for what is needed.

I was curious if returning the fluid to the tank during cleaning caused a noticible decrease in the cavitation. It seems you haven't noticed any degradation.

What kind of duty cycle are you getting from your Sonix IV cleaner?

Last edited:
I might order the eBay motor unit mentioned upthread to go with my Vibrato

I have two concerns with that Ebay unit. The first is that the motor is 1 RPM which would be 10 - 12 times faster (depending on 5 or 6 RPH motor) than what has been discussed on this thread. The second is that there is only 1/2" spacers versus the 1" being used which affect the cleaning process due to the baffling effect (again discussed on his thread).

It is an interesting design and there are some pluses however trying to find a slower 5 or 6 RPH motor in the same footprint/configuration to modify it is nonexistant so far (I looked!) Only the synchrons in the teardrop configuration. I originally posted about the Ebay unit as I thought some of the designs had merit and might be incorporated in A DIY design. My comment of adding it with a Vibrato unit was probably a bit hasty considering my two concerns mentioned.

At any rate my two bit opinion.

Last edited: