My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2013, 12:10 AM   #361
diyAudio Member

Query: Is the SS top rim of the Sonix 4 136 tank magnetic?
Old 29th August 2013, 03:47 AM   #362
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Alan,
Mine is not magnetic.
B B
Old 29th August 2013, 08:56 AM   #363
diyAudio Member

just ordered 2 68khz 120watt generators and four 60w 68khz tranducers. Each PCB is 220mm x 280mm x 100 having searched pretty hard it looks like I'll be building the enclosure for these, electrical boxes big enough are a vilainous price. Sourcing the tank won't be hard I've seen a bread pan about the right size and some other commercial catering tins look good too. $258 us in the red so far.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:24 PM   #364
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Hi Catastrophe,
The poor man's version would be to buy aluminum tubing. You'd have to go 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID. The 1/4 is slightly smaller than a record spindle should be (9/32 is the proper size) but it should function. B B
Most model train/airplane hobby shops have brass telescopic tubing in 1/32" increments. 9/32" OD - 1/4" ID. Then you can use a small piece of 1/4" OD - 7/32" ID, and then 7/32" OD - 3/16" ID until you get down to 1/8" ID to fit the motor shaft. I was thinking about making a flat spot on the motor shaft and crimping the inner piece of tube to engage the shaft so a screw or collar would not be necessary.

BTW, why so long on delivery from Independant Dental? 30 days to ship...really?
Old 30th August 2013, 06:01 PM   #365
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Alan, I have not tried the thin wall brass tubing, but my concern would be that such a spindle would dent, bend, or deform easily. Will loading a pound or more of LPs and spacers on a thin wall tube (1/32" wall thickness) bend it near the motor mount?
Old 30th August 2013, 06:10 PM   #366
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Hi Alan, I have not tried the thin wall brass tubing, but my concern would be that such a spindle would dent, bend, or deform easily. Will loading a pound or more of LPs and spacers on a thin wall tube (1/32" wall thickness) bend it near the motor mount?
Not a chance. But if it did, you could always use a piece of 1/4" OD inside some 9/32" OD and double the effective wall thickness. You could just braze them together with a little solder. That would support 5#.

I'll have to get everything here and in front of me to see. The motor should be in early next week. I have pleny of time to work out the transport details while waiting for the Sonix to arrive!
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:29 AM   #367
diyAudio Member

While I'm waiting for my Sonix IV to ship, I have a new toy to get up to snuff.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th September 2013, 12:20 AM   #368
diyAudio Member

I really need to build one of these.
very cool.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:29 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

With the help of a fellow DIYer, I got my cleaner up-and-running.

This is based on the Sonix IV ST-126H as I wanted a larger unit to handle more albums at one. This unit's sweet spot is 6 albums at a time. More will fit on the spindle, but the weight seems to impact the rotational ability of the assembly.

The frame is made from 80/20 aluminum extrusion that I had left over from building my audio rack. It came together nicely, and the folding bracket bolts directly to the channel in the extrusion.

I'm using a 12RPH motor as the slower units were out of stock. Since 12RPH is one revolution every 5 minutes, I set my time for 10 minutes and get 2 revolutions during a cleaning. Seems to work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6167.JPG (968.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6168.JPG (751.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6169.JPG (948.3 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6170.JPG (955.6 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6171.JPG (971.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 9th September 2013, 04:58 AM   #370
Shaun is online now Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrofe View Post
This unit's sweet spot is 6 albums at a time. More will fit on the spindle, but the weight seems to impact the rotational ability of the assembly.
Is it any better when the far end of the spindle is not resting on the bath's edge? I expect that contact point might be introducing extra loading through friction. I have a similar setup to yours, with the purpose of the bearing being to enable the spindle to be held from one end only.

Hide this!Advertise here!