Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2013, 01:07 PM   #341
diyAudio Member

I wasn't advocating its purchase. Just pointing out there is a unit out there for sale with some of the characteristics desired.
Old 9th July 2013, 05:35 PM   #342
dhole is offline dhole  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey All

So Just got me a cleaner off ebay. Not an expensive one :
NEW 6.5 L ULTRASONIC CLEANER TIMER/HEATER FREE P&P | eBay

So Ive tried some simple hand turning of a few records and I have to say the results are more than dissapointing. Essentially no better than wiping with water and isopropyl . I think this unit may be faulty or I have fallen for the hype.

I would hope its a faulty unit as if it isnt it is very poor at cleaning. I mean it has a hard timing cleaning a kitchen knife with some old pizza on it !

My advice, dont buy this cleaner try something else . I am put off by the idea now so it might take me a while to try another one....... gonna send this one back I think. Guess the seller could be on the scam as it is a chinese knock off. Even with that in mind ive been using chinese equipment for a while and its been fine just cheaper with less style.....

D
Old 12th July 2013, 09:12 PM   #343
larry52 is offline larry52  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Building In Reverse

The drive motor and the ultrasonic machine were on back order so I built the assembly for filtering the cleaning solution first. I've been using the design by bbfx as a guide. The box housing the Little Giant pump is 4.7" X 4.7" X 3.5" that I purchased from the local electronics supply house. The wood base is African Mahogany that I fabricated in my shop. I wanted to have the pump and filter on on single base base to feel more organized and to help prevent marring the surfae that they would rest on. The 90 degree brass input fitting on the pump is made for PEX water lines and had three mounting tabs on it. I cut those off with a high speed pneumatic cut-off disc and followed that with a sanding disc to smooth out any high spots. The motor arrived last week and the ultrasonic cleaner should arrive next week so more work to do soon.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th July 2013, 02:22 AM   #344
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Larry,
That wood base looks great. You've made my rag tag collection of components look very respectable!

Cheers,
B B
Old 26th July 2013, 10:07 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

For those without a lathe, what is the best method and/or material for making a spindle that will fit over the motor shaft?
Old 26th July 2013, 10:57 PM   #346
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Catastrophe,
The poor man's version would be to buy aluminum tubing. You'd have to go 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID. The 1/4 is slightly smaller than a record spindle should be (9/32 is the proper size) but it should function. The ID might be a minor problem. It might require a force fit over the 1/8 shaft on the motor. a 3' length of that tubing is pretty cheap though, so it's worth a try. Such tubing is easily bent though, so you'd have to be mindful when you're handling the spindle.
Depending on where you live, you might find a local hobby machinist that could bore out the shaft on a lathe for next to nothing. Craigslist or machinist hobby forums would be a place to look for someone like that. Many of those guys like to do that kind of stuff for free!
Good luck with either solution,

B B
Old 27th July 2013, 03:58 AM   #347
larry52 is offline larry52  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Shaft Coupling

My solution for coupling the 1/8" motor shaft to the 9/32" shaft that supports the records was to start with a flexible coupling, 4mm on one side and 8mm on the other. These are available from vendors on ebay or Amazon. I then bought 2 pieces of brass tubing, 5/32" and 5/16" with .014" thick walls. The 5/16" tubing fits into the 8mm opening and allows the 9/32" shaft fit into inside of it. The 5/32" tubing fits into the 4mm opening and in turn the 1/8" shaft fits into the inside. Using a small hack saw (6") I cut the tubing on one side followed with cutting the tubing to the proper length with a miniature tubing cutter. This will allow the tubing to squeeze down under pressure. Once the set screws are tightened, the grip on both shafts is secure.
Old 3rd August 2013, 05:44 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Default USC Finished!

Finally, I have had enough time to finish (more or less) the frame for the ultrasonic cleaner (USC)!
Thanks to BBFTX for providing the basic design and the parts list, it really saved a lot of time. Along the way, I made a few minor tweaks to the design; that seem to be working okay.

First, instead of attaching a weight to the underside of the frame to counterbalance the weight of the records when the arm is extended, I put four thumbscrews attached buy U-type speed clip fasteners to hold the frame down to the body of the USC. Obviously, you don’t want to over tighten the thumbscrews, but with lite to moderate pressure against the USC it will keep the frame in place.

Second, I don’t own a drill press and my attempt to drill a hole by hand in the end of the shaft for the records simply wasn’t straight enough. I opted for a plastic coupling that is working fine. These can be purchased at the same online store as the pillow block and brass bearing listed in BBFTX’s parts list (Stock Drive Products). Look under “Coupling – Flexible – Slit Type in Plastic”. The closest size they have is 1/4” X 1/8”, but you can open it more than 1/4” to get it to fit over the 9/32” shaft.

Third, I chose not to put the electric motor in a plastic box but instead mounted it directly to 1 1/2” angle aluminum to reduce weight. Unfortunately, the angle aluminum doesn’t support the weight of the records without giving a little, so a support pillow block and bearing on the end of the shaft needs to be used. For this pillow block, I used the larger size bearing suggested by BBFTX in his parts list so it slides on and off easily.

I did a test wash a few days ago and noticed several pieces of cork floating in the USC, hopefully, the cork will shed all the loose pieces soon, otherwise I may try some type foam spacing as shown in other postings. Hope this gives you some additional ideas in case you would like to build your own cleaner.

HiFi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1USC_00011USC2013.JPG (85.9 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg 2USC_00022USC2013.JPG (84.6 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 3USC_00033USC2013.JPG (94.0 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 4USC_00044USC2013.JPG (86.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 5USC_00055USC2013.JPG (73.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 8USC_00088USC2013.JPG (128.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 3rd August 2013, 06:27 PM   #349
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Interesting-- looking very good.....
does anyone know of a European source for 220V 5-6 rph motors?
( a google search did not return anything meaningful)
Old 4th August 2013, 07:49 AM   #350
Morfeus is offline Morfeus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
Interesting-- looking very good.....
does anyone know of a European source for 220V 5-6 rph motors?
( a google search did not return anything meaningful)
Here you are:

Spiegelkugelmotor - Motoren - Wechselstrommotoren - - Pollin Electronic

Hide this!Advertise here!