My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 06:16 PM   #311
diyAudio Member

I've been trying to source a 60hz unit for a while now without success. Any suggestions here in the US ?
Old 29th April 2013, 07:48 PM   #312
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

There are lots of medical, dental, and jewelry supply companies that distribute and sell Sonix ultrasonic cleaning units.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:07 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

B B, Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the Sonix IV ultrasonic cleaner, hopefully it will be here soon.

K
Old 1st May 2013, 12:09 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

You may want to look at Independent Dental for the Sonix IV cleaner

K
Old 1st May 2013, 11:58 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

Hifi, which model did you buy? Heat or no heat?
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:16 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

I ordered the ST-136H which has the heater installed, it will take about a month to be delivered from the manufacturer.
Old 2nd May 2013, 04:14 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Default Any other transducers ?

I was wondering if a modified speaker magnet assembly might work as a transducer. Build a voice coil with an aluminum former and stick it to the bottom of the tank. I guess this will suffer from poor efficiency as compared to the piezo transducer. Might be tricky to implement also !
I haven't been through all of this thread . Is 40 Khz the optimum for cleaning vinyl discs or would 60 Khz be even better ? I have found a local supplier who claims 38Khz freq for their piezo transducers. On the Web I found something about 40Khz damaging glass sheets ! ( http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/transducer_types.htm )

Last edited by ashok; 2nd May 2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:16 AM   #318
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
I haven't been through all of this thread . Is 40 Khz the optimum for cleaning vinyl discs or would 60 Khz be even better ?
No, AIUI (from reading this and a couple of other threads about URCMs), 40Khz is certainly not optimal ... as the lower the speed, the larger the cavitation bubbles in the liquid. Smaller bubbles will have less chance of damaging the groove and will penetrate into the groove more readily. So 60KHz is better than 40KHz ... but, while 80KHz is even better, it is difficult to find one.

Regards,

Andy
Old 30th May 2013, 01:03 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

BB and all ... this is a tremendous thread. Have read every word and now plan to build a USRM as described here. Not sure whether to use 60kHz or 80 kHz machine.

Your thread has reinvigorated my interest in my record collection. Of all the records I have about 30 that are mildewed - record and record cover. Have cleaned the external sides of the record covers but mildew also exists on the inside of the record covers. Does this mean the record covers should be discarded? Using Lysol citrus wipes to kill the mold on the covers. Wiping the inside of the covers results in split seams and does not seem to be sufficiently free of mildew to insert a newly USRM cleaned record.
Apologize if this is off topic.
Old 30th May 2013, 01:29 PM   #320
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LP Cover Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaaudio View Post
BB and all ... this is a tremendous thread. Have read every word and now plan to build a USRM as described here.

Of all the records I have about 30 that are mildewed - record and record cover. Have cleaned the external sides of the record covers but mildew also exists on the inside of the record covers. Does this mean the record covers should be discarded? Using Lysol citrus wipes to kill the mold on the covers. Wiping the inside of the covers results in split seams and does not seem to be sufficiently free of mildew to insert a newly USRM cleaned record.
Hi Atlanta,
I don't have many, but in cases where I have "yucky" or even a split cover that I don't feel comfortable putting a record in, I don't put the record in!
I've tossed just a couple of really bad ones, but generally I'll clean the cover as best I can, and store the LP outside the cover in a plastic sleeve and a blank cardboard sleeve. I keep the damaged cover and the separately packaged record together on the shelf.

I like LP cover art and photos; that drives saving some otherwise useless covers.

Here are some good restoration tips for LP covers. Note his suggestions about dealing with mildew.
LPCover Lover | Restoration Tips

Good luck with your build!

Cheers,
B B

Hide this!Advertise here!