My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2013, 10:18 AM   #291
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I wonder about using an air-knife, analogous to those new Dyson hand dryers in public bathrooms?
Good thought - I wonder how they would work?

Regards,

Andy
Old 5th March 2013, 11:19 AM   #292
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dust and impingement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I wonder about using an air-knife, analogous to those new Dyson hand dryers in public bathrooms?
To each his own, as a little dust will inevitably settle onto one's freshly cleaned LP surface. But you definitely don't want to be blasting air onto the LP surface, as tiny dust particles will be driven with force back into the LP.

A vacuum really isn't necessary, as air drying takes about as long as it would to load the LP into another machine,
vacuum,
flip the LP in the machine,
vacuum again.
Then do the 2nd record from the URC batch.
Then the 3rd record from the URC batch, which would have air dried by now anyway.

With a vacuum, you've turned a URC setup that you can walk away from and return every 12 minutes into one where you need to be present much of the full cycle to vacuum one side of one LP at a time, times 6!

Many RCM vacuums also use a brush to help position the vacuum head against the record. One of the benefits of an ultrasonic setup is to allow one to eliminate the need for brushes contacting the LP.

Again, to each his own preferred method, but air drying works very well for me.
Cheers,
B B
Old 5th March 2013, 11:34 AM   #293
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I understand your point, but I think that driving dust particles into the vinyl by an air blast is rather unlikely. Still, if something isn't needed, why do it?

I'm still curious, though, and may try to jury rig something to test the idea.
Old 5th March 2013, 04:08 PM   #294
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
To each his own, as a little dust will inevitably settle onto one's freshly cleaned LP surface. But you definitely don't want to be blasting air onto the LP surface, as tiny dust particles will be driven with force back into the LP.
As I remarked somewhere, take a look at the air in your room when bright sunlight is streaming in. Around here it's packed with particles. I have an air purifier but rarely use it, and probably ought to.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:11 PM   #295
diyAudio Moderator

No doubt we live in a dusty world. But what's the kinetic energy of dust particles hitting the vinyl at something less than the velocity of the airstream?
Old 5th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #296
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default frequency/generators

I was in this biz for many years. Very expensive for what you get and lots of hype. Your comments on fit and finish are dead on on most Mom and Pops.

If you want to have some fun check out the Harbor Freight U/S units.( Yes I know ). If I was doing it I would cut the bottom out of the tank and side mount the trans ducers on the side of a new metal tank. For records, facing into the U/S wave is preferred.

A really far out idea is to buy an U/S humidifier. Their atomizers are in the mega sonic range. Very narrow beam that has to be focused directly on the area being cleaned. Before I would risk a good record I would run some destruction tests. You will need a high power microscope for this.

Cleaning solution is inportant. A few drops of Joy soap is needed to removed air from the water. For lower frequencies stick a piece of common light weight aluminum foil into the tank for 1 minute. In some cases all that is left is a very chewed up piece of foil. In higher frequencies maybe dents. In the megasonic units no damage. Alcohol with a swab is a very good drying method.

The transducers are just a round or rectanular piece of a piezo electric material called PZT. The frequency is determined by the size of the transducer. There is not much difference between 40,60 or 80 khz. in cleaning or damage.

The Semiconductor industry at one time, tried to use U/S for cleaning Solar cells wafers. We found standing waves on the part would errode some areas and leave dirty in another. Most of the semi industry now uses the IBM wafer cleaning method of hydrogen peroxide. If I had dirty records tha'st what I would use instead of U/S cleaning.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:27 PM   #297
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post

The transducers are just a round or rectanular piece of a piezo electric material called PZT. The frequency is determined by the size of the transducer. There is not much difference between 40,60 or 80 khz. in cleaning or damage.
I think PZT stands for piezoelectric transducer, probably made of Barium Titanate (BaTiO3 if memory serves).
Old 5th March 2013, 06:46 PM   #298
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
If you want to have some fun check out the Harbor Freight U/S units.
Funny, I was there yesterday and ran across those units. Only 3" deep, so you'd have to hack it, as you said.

Hydrogen Peroxide?
Old 5th March 2013, 07:12 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Sy,
Hydrogen Peroxide, would this imbrittle the surface or have a negative reaction with the wax and lipids. I would think that would be more aggressive than the alcohol solution. What say you Sy?
Old 5th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #300
diyAudio Moderator

Free radicals are bad things for vinyl. Peroxides, ozone, anything like that. Bad chemicals, bad, bad!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!