My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 04:42 PM   #21
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
I found some 4" round weatherproof Carlon outlet covers at Home Depot. They were $2.54 each. I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the center and super glued the supplied foam ring to the back. I get full label coverage with these covers. I bought 8 of them so that I can load 4 LPs on the spindle for cleaning.

Kevin T
Sounds like a great option Kevin, the waterproof foam gasket should work well.
I looked for a similar cover at my Home Depot --- just like the one that covers my motor box. I'm guessing it's similar to your Carlon --- a tad over 4" in diameter with a weatherproof gasket. My motor box cover is metal. But my home depot didn't sell that cover separately from the connector box. I didn't see the Carlon there. Is it plastic or metal? Electrical department I assume?

Will you use some kind of spacer between the covers on each record? I could easily use some of the nylon spacers I have, in between the cover/record/cover sandwich and the next cover/record/cover sandwich.

Last edited by bbftx; 27th August 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 27th August 2012, 04:48 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

It's plastic.I found some aluminum ferrules with some rope stays that are a little bigger than 1/4" inner diameter that I use between the spacers. I had to buy the whole set because I couldn't find just the ferrules. They were $1.92 for 2 ferrules and 2 stays. I bought two packs to have 4 ferrules. The ferrules are roughly 3/4" of an inch. Add in the thinkness of the Carlon covers and it's about 1.25" between each record.

Kevin T
Old 28th August 2012, 02:55 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
It's plastic.I found some aluminum ferrules with some rope stays that are a little bigger than 1/4" inner diameter that I use between the spacers.
Kevin T
So is your spindle 1/4" instead of the LP spindle spec, which is 9/32"?
Old 28th August 2012, 03:04 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yeah. My gear motor's spindle is 6mm. 1/4" rod and set screw couplers are easier to find than 9/32". The compression "force" of my spacers keep the records from slipping.

Kevin T

Last edited by kgturner; 28th August 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:32 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Finished my ultrasonic cleaner this weekend. Still trying to work out the best cleaning solution, length of time ratio. I'm using a .5 RPM gear motor from ServoCity.com. I added a DPDT switch so that I can rotate the records forward and backwards if I so desire. The gear motor runs off a 12V 2.5A power supply that fit perfectly inside the case. I just cut off the captive cord and added an IEC inlet so the ultrasonic power supply and gear motor power supply are both attached to the IEC inlet.

I purchased the ultrasonic cleaner used and the case looked beat to hell so I taped it off and spray painted it. I was gonna paint the PVC flat black as well, but figured I'd rather finish putting the thing together than wait another day for paint and clear coat.

Here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultrasonic1.jpg (86.5 KB, 1311 views)
File Type: jpg ultrasonic2.jpg (98.7 KB, 1236 views)
File Type: jpg ultrasonic3.jpg (90.3 KB, 1222 views)
File Type: jpg ultrasonic4.jpg (54.4 KB, 1211 views)
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Nice, Kevin! Good to see you up and running.

I've been tweaking my setup a bit. I'll post some more photos soon.

One thing I've done with the cleaning solution is cut back on the Photo Flo. A little goes a long way. Instead of the 200:1 ratio I started with, I've cut the Photo Flo down to 600:1.
I'm glad to see you're going with the wider spacing between records too. I've found some more background info on ultrasonic cleaners which supports limiting the number of records one tries to clean at one time. I'll get around to summarizing that info in another forum post too.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:53 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I'm hoping to have time to demo some pre-cleaned, then ultrasonic cleaned records next weekend. I'm using my regular DIY record cleaning fluid. The recipe is 3:1 distilled water to 91% isopropyl alcohol with ~10-15 drops of Triton X-100 for surfactant. My first run was 15 minutes (7:30 forward & 7:30 backward). I may add additional spacers since I have some room or I may reduce the number of LPs to two per cleaning instead of three. I still have a lot of experimenting to do.

Kevin T
Old 7th September 2012, 05:51 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for taking the time to share your builds! I am so stoked to build one. I am on the hunt for a used machine so hopefully I can get going this month with any luck.

How many records can you clean before the water needs changing? I am trying to get a sense of what the per record cost is going to be.

Again thanks and please keep sharing your experiences.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:34 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyladdict View Post
How many records can you clean before the water needs changing? I am trying to get a sense of what the per record cost is going to be.
Depends on how dirty they are.
But if you're cleaning the typical, playable LP that doesn't have a lot of visible schmutz on it, I think it's dozens of records.

I'm not one to keep the tank of fluid sitting around, so for me, dumping the tank is generally governed by reaching the end of the cleaning session or day. I'm finding that I'll get up to 12 records cleaned per hour over a longer session. But, I haven't run that many batches yet.

So far, I've been setting aside a few really grubby or problem-child LPs to be the last ones to clean before dumping the batch of fluid. I put those on when I've reached the end of whatever time block I've set aside for cleaning.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Using IPA / Isopropyl / Isopropanol

I am a bit nervous about people using high concentrations of isopropyl in an ultrasonic cleaning solution. The electronics and transducers in an ultrasonic machine can easily ignite flammable vapors, particularly if the vapor collects in the closed area under the wet tank where the transducers are. The transducers get hot.
UC manufacturers generally warn you to NOT use any acetone or IPA in their machines.
While it's easy to think that "I've got lots of water in my solution, how could anything ignite?," it is possible, since the flash point of isopropyl is very low, even in fairly dilute IPA/water mixtures.

Below is a chart of flash point of IPA in water at increasing concentrations. At only 10% IPA (that would be 9 to 1 water-to-IPA ratio), the flash point is only 105F / 41C. Even if you don't use the heater that is often found in these desktop UC machines, the fluid temperature can easily get to that level just through the ultrasonic energy and heat given off by the transducers and electronics. At a 30% concentration, the flash point is room temperature or below.

This is why I'm using very little isopropyl --- about 2%, no more. Distilled or DI water with a little isopropyl and a few drops of surfactant like photo flo gets the records clean. There's no need to spend more on IPA and no need to risk ignition of vapors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IPA Water Flash Point.001.jpg (184.2 KB, 1155 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!