My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 10:47 AM   #271
diyAudio Member

Andyr,
And there is your answer and I know that Sy knows what he speaks of. And he was on the other thread so perhaps that answers your question why we could talk about what is going on here and answer without being a part of the thread here. Ask the right questions of the right people and you can get an informed answer.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:04 PM   #272
bbftx is online now bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Ultrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Have any of you guys opened up your ultrasonic cleaners? I'm curious as to how many transducers are typically used, where on the tank they are placed, and the way in which they are attached to the tank. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would also like to know as i can have Stainless Steel tanks made up to any shape or size i want.
Hi Ketchup and Bibio (awesome user names by the way),
To be most effective, transducers are attached to the bottom of the tank. You're essentially creating an ultrasonic speaker radiating upward. You want the bottom of the tank to resonate and project the sonic waves into the liquid in the tank.

Transducers are either attached with high grade epoxy that can withstand the energy transmission and vibration, or in extreme work environments they may be vacuum-brazed to the tank. Mass loading needs to be correct for efficient energy transmission into the liquid.

80-100 watts per gallon of tank capacity is the proper design power. For the size tanks we're talking about (6 quarts or so), three 50-watt transducers is optimal. Using multiple transducers allows more even distribution of energy into the cleaning liquid throughout the tank.

While I think it would be very cool to build one's own Ultrasonic machine from scratch, reading about other people's attempts quickly dissuaded me from doing this. Here is a link to an earlier post I wrote in response to this question:

DIY Ultrasonics?

Will be curious to know if you guys embark on such an effort.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 4th March 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:49 PM   #273
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that! Do you have an idea of what, roughly, the nominally-loaded Q of the system may be? I am still intrigued by the possibility of a swept-frequency system to move standing waves through the grooves being cleaned.

Brad
Old 4th March 2013, 07:52 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

Brad,
How would a standing wave generation of the ultra sonic waves have a better affect than the random action of the ultrasonic waves themselves. Would you need to have a phased array to accomplish anything like you are talking which seems to be steering the waves in a directed pattern of motion across the surfaces?
Old 4th March 2013, 08:06 PM   #275
diyAudio Member

I guess I don't visualize the ultrasonic energy as random, unless somehow it becomes chaotic (which isn't really random either but looks like it ).

I'm seeing standing waves forming quickly, and then slowly sweeping those so the compressions and rarefactions shift slightly at a given location on the LP under cleaning. This, potentially, in order to avoid having to move the disc itself.

I'd add that I have a personal and nearly immediate interest in this, as I have been excavating ancient and sometimes very dirty LPs of late and using my budget Nitty Gritty machine to mixed results.

Last edited by bcarso; 4th March 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 4th March 2013, 08:07 PM   #276
bbftx is online now bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sweep Freq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Thanks for that! Do you have an idea of what, roughly, the nominally-loaded Q of the system may be? I am still intrigued by the possibility of a swept-frequency system to move standing waves through the grooves being cleaned.

Brad
Hi Brad,
The nature of the transducers is that their frequency response is fairly narrow, maybe 2-3khz either side of the resonant frequency. So frequency sweeping is not really effective in these devices. The efficiency and power delivered drops off quickly if you deviate from the resonant frequency.

I would contend that it's not needed anyway since we're moving the object being cleaned ----the LP---- through the fluid in the tank. Any standing wave issues are handled by that movement of the object. In addition, by using higher frequency transducers (60 or 80 khz instead of 40khz), you can also minimize this potential issue. Fact is, swept frequency ultrasonic cleaners are not much more than marketing and sales hype, really. To their credit, Zenith Ultrasonics explains this on their website.
Cheers,
B B
Old 4th March 2013, 08:09 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Last night it was a Bootsy record, and man was it filthy --- the surfaces, not the content. As I remarked online, funky in a not-good way =]
Old 4th March 2013, 08:10 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Hi Brad,
The nature of the transducers is that their frequency response is fairly narrow, maybe 2-3khz either side of the resonant frequency. So frequency sweeping is not really effective in these devices. The efficiency and power delivered drops off quickly if you deviate from the resonant frequency.

I would contend that it's not needed anyway since we're moving the object being cleaned ----the LP---- through the fluid in the tank. Any standing wave issues are handled by that movement of the object. In addition, by using higher frequency transducers (60 or 80 khz instead of 40khz), you can also minimize this potential issue. Fact is, swept frequency ultrasonic cleaners are not much more than marketing and sales hype, really. To their credit, Zenith Ultrasonics explains this on their website.
Cheers,
B B
I had supposed something like that. But (see above) I'm looking for a strategy that obviates the need to move the record.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:06 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Brad,
Then it would seem the solution to not moving the record would be that the entire disk be submerged and something placed over the label on both sides and held through the center hole that would protect the label like a silicone disk on each side. You would need more solution and a higher amplitude I would think for the added volume you would have in the tank.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:58 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Brad,
Then it would seem the solution to not moving the record would be that the entire disk be submerged and something placed over the label on both sides and held through the center hole that would protect the label like a silicone disk on each side. You would need more solution and a higher amplitude I would think for the added volume you would have in the tank.
Yes, I guess the trouble to protect the labels does make the whole enterprise less appealing. Oh well.

Hide this!Advertise here!