My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Is the 100mm of depth enough for cleaning LPs? Lead-out should be at about 97mm from the edge of LP, and aaround 5mm later (104mm) the label starts. Is there any downside of submerging records almost to the bottom? I know that TNT-Audio DIY unit uses 100mm deep tank:

I'm planning buying a cheap Chinese 40 or 42 kHz unit, but I'm deciding between these three units. Is there any downside of using a manual time and heat control? I'm leaning towards manual one, cheaper than digital and stronger.

Stainless Steel Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner 4.5L, 140 pounds:
140.jpg

Digital Time and Heat Control :

With digital display of set time and time remaining, and set temperature and actual temperature.
Power: 150 Watt
Heat Power : 150 Watt
Tank size: 4.5 L
Tank Internal Dimension: 300 (L) x 150 (D) x 100 (H) mm
Weight:3.0KG
Timer: 0-30 min
Ultrasonic Frequency: 40,000 Hz
3 Transducers

6.5L Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner With Timer + Heating Free Basket 6L 031, 140 pounds
140.jpg

Manual Time and Heat Control :
Ultrasonic Power: 180 Watt
Tank size: 6.5 L
Tank Internal Dimension: 300 (L) x 150 (D) x 150 (H) mm
Temp: 20-80 degree
Ultrasonic Frequency: 42,000 Hz
3 Transducers

Details about 6.5L Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner + Heating + Timer + Basket 6L 031S, 160 pounds
140.jpg

Digital Time and Heat Control :
With digital display of set time and time remaining, and set temperature and actual temperature.
Power: 150 Watt
Tank size: 6.5 L
Tank Internal Dimension: 300 (L) x 150 (D) x 150 (H) mm
Weight:3.5KG
Ultrasonic Frequency: 40,000 Hz
3 Transducers

Recessed UCs

Has anyone dissected one of these machines? I really want to recess mine into the counter-top.

Hi Tiger,
Several companies make recessed machines. Sonix makes one, but it's 10.8 quarts -- probably a little too big, but workable. I've seen smaller ones too. It would be real convenient if one has the counter space to do this. Here are links:
Recessed Sonix Ultrasonic Cleaner
Smart Practice AG unit
Cheers,
B B

Thanks BB. Actually I just got my Sonix IV ST136H. You were right about fit and finish, nothing spectacular. Pretty sure I am gonn pull this thing apart, just to see. Should be easy enough to extend some wires and re-route the controls.I will keep you guys posted. I have been lurking for awhile, now its build time!

Thanks for the quick answers!

Ordered JP-30, 6.5L Chinese ultrasonic cleaner. Heated, 42 kHz (well, maybe 40 kHz as stated elsewhere), 180W of ultrasonic power.

Also ordered High torque Turbo worm Geared motor DC motor GW370 12V 0.6rpm - should be good for direct connection to the axis with records without the need of complicated gears or other transmisions. I also ordered Universal AC/DC converter (600 mA) with range from 1.5 - 12V, so the motor speed can be reduced.

Now the waiting for the parts... Other stuff should be fairly simple, I work at the machinist shop and I fabricate stainless steel stuff daily. :) I'll post the results!

Cool thanks :)
Any reason why did you prefer the mechanical timer/heater over the electronic one? It's the same price after all...
6 5L Professional Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Heating Timer Basket 6L 031s | eBay

About the rotation speed, I plan to build mine with a small modified servo (no electronics and no limiters) and PWM in order to be able to experiment with different speeds.

Tank material

Hi Guys.
Is there any reason why the tanks all seem to be stainless steel? is there another material that would work?

Hi PCB,
Another material like ____?

You need a very hard, smooth surface that will be resistant to cavitation, is corrosion resistant, non-reactive and that won't retain any particle residue. It also has to have the right resonance characteristics as part of the overall system design. Stainless steel fits the bill perfectly, relatively inexpensively.

There are tanks for special applications: Quartz (glass-like and fragile), titanium, and some very specialized, very inert plastics (low melting point though). All of theses are very expensive and not appropriate for the record cleaning application. Stainless is relatively cheap and the way to go.
Best,
B B

Thanks for the response, bbftx! I didn't have any particular material in mind. I was asking because I thought that another valid material might be more open to custom work. I like the idea of these cleaners but really just want a single record sized one and thought that I might be able to fabricate my own in the material was friendly. if not, I can go with the flow :)