My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Default Beware of heat and PAY ATTENTION to bbftx's instructions

Maybe I would not have had the problem if I had the "rotisserie" installed? Somehow I doubt it. I think the temperature in the GEMORO machine I got must get significantly hotter than the machine bbftx is using.

I was moving the records a quarter turn at a time and letting them sit there three to four minutes.

I had turned the heater on and after a few groups of records cleaned it must have got much hotter than bbftx's machine. I DID NOT monitor the temperature so I have no idea how hot the bath had got.

Well, it got hot enough to melt the PVC. The melts occurred at the top of the bath since one can see the lines. I feel like such an idiot but it is not the first time my enthusiasm has got in the way of being careful.

As usual with these kinds of accidents one's excitement to hear one's favorite records renewed means I have altered some of my favorite records. Luckily not too many but still it makes me sick to have been so dumb.

I must say the first half of the records are fine and very clean sounding. So the excessive heat has benefits but its downside is very bad!

For those on this same path, PLEASE be careful with the bath temperature.

On another subject - bbftx, since I do not have access to a lathe (and since you are obviously a very clever DIY'er) I am hoping you might suggest an alternative to fixing the drill stock rod to the motor shaft? (Got my motor today)

Are there couplers available that would fit the two different diameters together? Hoping you might know if such a thing exists. Something like how a potentiometer knob with two set screws so one could center the two pieces.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:44 PM   #142
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
Are there couplers available that would fit the two different diameters together? Hoping you might know if such a thing exists.
Yes, you can get them in different size combinations; also flexible and rigid.

Chris: very good! I'm in the process of making my own.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:49 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Default Shaun, thanks for the help, and ...

what do I call these things so I can look for them on the net?

If you could recommend a supplier, even if they are in SA so I can get an idea of nomenclature, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, again,
Old 15th November 2012, 04:49 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Hey Rick,

Bummer about the overheated vinyl. I am assuming that your particular machine does not have a thermostat controlled heater just an off / on switch? When I put my machine together I was waiting a couple of weeks for my motor and did the manual turn as well. My advice - wait for the motor.

I did not have a lathe either but I went to local metal shop and they did the spindle work for me in about 5 minutes and charged me $15. You might want to look into that as the cost of jerry rigging something else could easily surpass the amount to get it done locally.

Good luck mate!

Last edited by Vinyladdict; 15th November 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:55 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christempler View Post
Hi,

This is my first post ever to a forum.
I have just finished the unit as per the pictures and would dearly like to correspond with someone else that has gone down the same route.

I made some assumptions before I started - 1. One at a time (see 6). 2. Brushes to help clear the debris away. 3. 50 degrees Celsius. 4. One RPM. 5. Cheap Chinese unit @ 40kHz as other frequency units too expensive here and this one can be maintained by the local (South Africa) agents. 6. To have a separate rinse / vacuum unit which is almost finished.

Chris
Hey Chris welcome to the forum! That is a really great looking unit. Makes me want to throw rocks at mine

I am using a 40kHZ unit as well and it seems to get the job done just fine. I have done over 500 lps in it so far so I think I have got my money's worth.

Please let us know about your rinse/vacuum process and the detergent experiment.

Cheers
Old 15th November 2012, 05:19 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks, vinyladdict

Your advice is sound.

It is hard to get away from work to go to a machine show which motivates my desire to make it something I can do for myself.

Yes, I bet it would cost me more.

I will try to find someone willing to do it.

Does the machinist simply bore a centered hole and tap a hole for a set screw?
Want to make sure I ask for the right thing.

Thanks, again,
Old 15th November 2012, 07:40 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your advice is sound.

It is hard to get away from work to go to a machine show which motivates my desire to make it something I can do for myself.

Yes, I bet it would cost me more.

I will try to find someone willing to do it.

Thanks, again,
Hi Rick,

I know it may sound onerous but it was actually really simple to find a shop (at least in my area). I went there with a photo from BB's setup and explained what I was trying to accomplish. He said "come back after lunch" and it was done. I am not sure which motor you are using - just make sure you confirm the size when you are talking to the machinist.

Good luck
Old 15th November 2012, 08:55 PM   #148
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what do I call these things so I can look for them on the net?
They are called shaft couplers. See here Buy shaft couplers online from RS Components and here Wholesale shaft coupler - Buy Low Price shaft coupler Lots on Aliexpress.com

HTH
Old 15th November 2012, 09:36 PM   #149
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Machining

Quote:

Thanks, again,
Hi Rick
Yes, that is the essence of the task. Shaft couplers like Shaun suggested can work too.
In either case, you need a "close sliding fit" so there will be very little or no play between the parts. Your spindle will sag otherwise. If you have a machinist do the task for you, it would be best if he had the motor shaft in hand, along with the spindle that he's going to machine. There are lots of home shop machinists in almost every town --- you might find one of them that would do the job for free, just to be helpful. There are dozens of home shop forums out there to ask for local help.
Good luck,
B B
Old 15th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #150
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Meltdown

Quote:
Well, it got hot enough to melt the PVC. The melts occurred at the top of the bath since one can see the lines.
Sorry to hear about the overheating, Rick. Bummer. I think it was Ishmail that was told his Gemoro had a set point of about 170F for the heater. That is hot enough to melt PVC and too hot to run all the time when cleaning LPs.

Was your fluid level as high as possible? I know that made a big difference on my setup in keeping the temperature under control.

Everyone should definitely monitor their own particular machines, as I can imagine there could quite a bit of temperature variation from unit to unit of the same model.

The safe procedure would be to turn off the heater while the records are running in a cleaning cycle. Turn on the heater when you're unloading and loading your machine, check the temp, and turn off the heater when you lower the newly lowered records into place.

I keep one of those little espresso/barista thermometers right next to my machine when I'm using it so I can monitor temps. You could also get one that just clips onto the side of the tank and keep it there all the time. Hmmm, I may do that...

B B

Hide this!Advertise here!