My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

"Only 1 record because I noticed the Ultrasonic effect (ripples on water surface) degraded a lot when spinning 3 records at once"

I use the Vinyl Stack apparatus that is designed to accommodate four lps at once. For the same reason as Baserolokus notes, I only clean two lps at a time in my 80kHz Vibrato USC, one an each end of the stack. I do that to maximize US energy toward cleaning the lp surfaces. I did not believe when I was cleaning four at once I was getting the desired results.

BBFTX had added a white paper very early in this thread about the amount of surface area that could be cleaned vs the watts used. The determination was that for a 6 qt/ltr that 3 records was the max for best results. Hopefully he will chime in.

BendBound: What is the rotational speed of the Vinyl Stack unit you are using? Too fast can also reduce the cleaning effectiveness. If I remember correctly they were like 1 rpm vs the 1/10 th rpm needed.

Last edited:
Zg925 asked: What is the rotational speed of the Vinyl Stack unit you are using?

My version of Vinyl Stack allows you to set the voltage. I use the lowest setting of 3V (it goes up to 12V in a series of steps). I put a stop watch to it to see how long it required for one complete revolution. That was 6 minutes 12 seconds.

I normally employ a cleaning session at 13 minutes. That permits two complete revolutions. My thinking since half of the lp is out of the solution, that 13 minutes time means each side is fully exposed to US energy for only half that much time.

Last edited:
If you are submerging the record all the way up to the spindle then you would be correct. However if you are only going up to the edge of the label then you are only submerging only one third of the record at any point in time. So on a 6 minute rotation any portion of the record is only submerged for two minutes. You can verify this by making a mark when the record first goes in and time till that point exits the water.

You are quite right. I just worked out the math for that given a standard record diameter of 11.75", the chord length at the water line at 4" height (just over label in my case) is 11.14". If I did the math right, the surface area of a record is 108.38 inches square per side. The surface area submerged is 32.57 inches square per side. So 30% of the record surface at a time is exposed to US energy per 6.25 minute revolution or ~1.9 minutes of exposure. If one wanted a full 6 minutes of exposure, the rotation time needs to be closer to 20 minutes. If one wanted ~5 minutes of exposure, the rotation time needs to be about 17 minutes.

Interesting. I had not worked that out prior.

Last edited:
Since this option makes spinning programmable, is there anyone who has some experience with a spin cycle where the records spin and then stop for a determined time to really get the cleaning going? Looking for most efficient cycle.....

Hi Bas,
One problem with stopping rotation is that most ultrasonic tanks exhibit standing wave behavior in the bath. This means that cavitation tends to be greater in some spots than others in the tank. My hypothesis would be that Continuous rotation will expose all of the surface area more evenly through the cleaning cycle. Stopping will result in uneven cleaning and possible "hot spots" in my opinion.

For a discussion of how many LPs can generally be cleaned at one time, I posted a discussion of both LOADING parameters, and SPACING parameters. I did the surface area calcs very, very early in this thread. [GASP - 9 years ago in Post #44!]. That post has some of the guidelines Zg925 mentions that I quoted.
Link: Loading and Spacing of LPs

For immersion time, anything shorter than 30 seconds is too short, and anything over 5 minutes gains nothing, per manufacturer's recos as mentioned here:
Link: Immersion Time

I recommend using a 5 or 6 rph motor and rotate 1 time, or slightly more than 1 full rotation. That gives 1 rotation in 12 minutes or 10 minutes, allowing for about 3-⅓ to 4 minutes cleaning action for a given part of the surface of the record, which is perfectly adequate in my experience.
Cheers,
B B

Attachments

• spin time.002.jpg
    spin time.002.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for re-posting those details. The Vinyl Stack at its slowest setting, 3V, is one rotation in 6.2 minutes or 9.7 rotations per hour.

Likely I'll return to 13 minutes for a cleaning, to put total US exposure time to an entire record at between 3 and 4 minutes. I could continue to use 15 to 17 minutes which would be slightly more than two revolutions and closer to 5 minutes of total exposure.

If the records are clean upfront, maybe the shorter time is best. If they are dirty garage sale finds, I'd consider closer to 20-21 minutes on my set up.

Last edited:
Anyone with a filter setup experienced fibers on their records from the filter? Just did a few records the other day to test my setup and filter system. Made a simple solution from double distilled water and some isopropanol alcohol with some quat added. After the washing cycle I’ve been listening to the washed records and notice the needle picked up a lot of white fiber like gunk. Could this be fibers from the woven 1.0 micron filter? It’s the only solution I can come up with….

I rinse any new 0.35 micron filter before installing with distilled water. But I've noticed occasionally what I call a "tide line" on my otherwise cleaned records. That comes from white duff debris that floats on the surface after being removed from the lp by the US action. Its usually only on the right side of the record, the side that is rotating down into the US tank. I rinse that off with a nozzle squeeze bottle. Then I give all cleaned records a spin on a VPI vacuum RC machine to ensure removal of all debris on the lp surface and to dry them. To minimize the tide line of duff, I don't usually US clean the next batch until the tank water has had a chance to recirculate for a few minutes. I need to get a small skimmer to remove visible floating debris.

On an even rarer occasion, I have had the stylus pick up white debris on the first play. But that is quite rare. No idea why that occurs.

Last edited:
Anyone with a filter setup experienced fibers on their records from the filter? ….Could this be fibers from the woven 1.0 micron filter? It’s the only solution I can come up with….

Hi Bas, All canister filters need to be flushed before use. You should run 3 to 5 gallons of water through the filter before using it for drinking, or cleaning records. For whatever filter you bought, do the filter instructions mention anything about that?
Cheers,
B B

I like this! So, a few questions:
1. Is the €60 online deal still available?
2. Did you use any Legos that were not part of the EV3 kit?
3. Would you be willing to post a few more detailed photos of the build, to assist those who'd like to reproduce what you did?

Thank you!
waldemar

Third installment after purchasing a Lego Mindstorm set for €60 online.

Edge driven DIY lego record spinner for Ultrasonic Cleaning Vinyl. Version 3.0 using Lego Mindstorm. - YouTube

Really easy build as you can see with a whole set of new options.

I like this! So, a few questions:
1. Is the €60 online deal still available?
2. Did you use any Legos that were not part of the EV3 kit?
3. Would you be willing to post a few more detailed photos of the build, to assist those who'd like to reproduce what you did?

Thank you!
waldemar
Sorry Waldemar, reply is a little late but after a postponed spine surgery due to covid I finally got around to actually cleaning, and made a vid. The €60 online purchase was a used one! And yes I had to use some other lego parts but not that much though, must be easy to get hold of. Let me know if you still want them pics!

vid:

Sorry Waldemar, reply is a little late but after a postponed spine surgery due to covid I finally got around to actually cleaning, and made a vid. The €60 online purchase was a used one! And yes I had to use some other lego parts but not that much though, must be easy to get hold of. Let me know if you still want them pics!

vid:

Thank you - yes, I'd love some more photos, and thanks for the video! I'm looking for an EV3 kit that doesn't break the bank - this looks like a cool and fun option.

Best regards,
Waldemar

Has anyone using a 2.5" x 5" filter for cleaning the record bath liquid tried one besides the Hydronix SDC-25-0501?

The sites I've checked recently (allfilters.com, discountfilterstore.com, walmart, amazon, newegg) seem to either be out of the Hydronix, or else the Hydronix is significantly more expensive than something like the Spiropure SP-P1-478 (allfilters.com).
I can't tell if this filter is something I'll regret not being brand-loyal about :)

I have watched quite a few US cleaning videos on Youtube that are using Kirmas, Klaudio, Auto Desk, Degritter, etc. My biggest complaint on any of these (not the price) but the rotational speed. For example the Klaudio uses a 3 RPM speed which means the record is only on the bath for approximately 7 seconds per rotation. I have pointed this out to several of the more well known vloggers about how this is not sufficient time for effective cleaning regardless of the accumulated total bath time and basically have been told that I am wrong that the manufacturers are correct for the immersion times.
So my question to all, are we incorrect or are these manufacturers using “snake oil” to sell theses systems? Seems early on there were white papers from Bransonic or others stating that at least a 3 minute immersion was optimal. What am I not understanding?
Don’t get me started on the 40 KHZ transducers!

Last edited:
Assuming a DIY solution and presume manufactured would be the same, then it's a function of the soap/quantity used.

edit: While I have plenty of a wide range of cleaning experience, none for my vinyl collection beyond using Discwasher products until some years ago switching to hydrogen peroxide for all alcohol apps.

A fine mist sprayer in a 3% Qt. bottle has been a real 'eye opener' in 'melting' away mold/mildew, dust collected on fake plants, shelf knickknacks, you name it IME, anything that can tolerate getting wet. Various fine art paintbrushes make short work of cleaning intricate model car/whatever interiors. Quickly 'spit shines' CDs, DVDs, BRs of food, fingerprints, etc., so will try it on my vinyl if I ever go back to them.

Last edited: