New Plinth for a Dual 12xx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to pick up a Dual 12xx series turntable, as a fun project. Is it possible to build a plinth similar to the Lenco Home Depot thread where its firmly mounted to a high mass point? Or is removing the suspension a bad idea? I haven't found much on this,so I figured this would be the gang who knew... thanks.

a plinth

I've replinthed a couple of these. A 1225 and a 1216. Both worked out very well. The biggest hassle is cutting out the center portion to allow the turntable to be recessed into a solid plinth board. I do have a few hints though.

Get some recycled rigid foam (scraps from a construction site will do). Cut a single piece larger than you need (I am assuming 1" thickness). Mark out the areas to be cut out with a felt marker. Remember this is just very rough and will be refined when you complete the foam prototype. Cut out the areas required. Try to allow the foam to fit firmly against the metal mounting plate of the Dual (remove the suspension springs carefully and if need be they can be re-used if you decide to use the Dual as a suspended table). The metal plate won't fit . Keep hacking up the rigid foam board until you get everything fitting as you want it. Once satisfied, Leave it alone. Get a second piece, and do the same thing, until satisfied. Repeat as necessary until the innards of the Dual are completely covered, then stop. Now remove the foam boards. Recreate each layer out of whatever material you wish (BB ply for example) of the came thickness as the foam. You will need something like 3" to cover the motor and inner workings of the table. Glue up the wood panels (I am assuming wood). Once set, trial fit the plinth. Once satisfied, have the edges of the laminated layers cut on a band saw. Make sure that the cuts are square to the metal top plate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.