Pioneer TX9800 tuner goes off tune

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Where to start... service manual for starters and whatever you do don't twiddle anything internally :)

Something like that could be difficult to fix. I would check the basics such as making sure the rails are clean and correct. If they vary or drift that will affect the tuning and alignment.

If it is a real RF fault then things get tough. It could be anything... a ceramic cap going leaky, old electroylitics etc etc. Tuner faults are rare.

A can of freezer may help, not blasting parts but just dripping a little onto any suspect items.

Thanks Mooly. I've removed thirty odd years of dust, and can't see anything that seems to have let the magic electric smoke out, so I will start experimenting with the aerial environment (plant growth) and move slowly inwards. I have a couple of other tuners to check.

Cheers Steve

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably about time for a recap, electrolytics only.. And as Mooly has indicated twiddle not yee internal coils, and pots! :D

Anecdotally speaking my Mitsubishi DA-F10 had started to die, replacing all of the electrolytics (a day's work in itself) brought it back to the expected levels of performance.

Thank you Mr kr. I promise I won't mess with the pots and coils, in an effort to solve the wrong problem. I will take your words on board, especially as I did troubleshoot my Leak Troughline 3 tuner (the conceptual opposite to the Pioneer) by replacing a cap. If all fails I shall console myself that with metal prices the way they are, scrap value of this battleship will probably be more than I paid for it!

Cheers Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.