Can I use a Geddon psu on a Planar 3 ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
FNQ is offline FNQ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use a Geddon psu on a Planar 3 ?

Hi guys.. I've a fine understanding of things audio but NOT an electronics expert by any means- but I can use my soldering iron quite well making-up interconnects, restoring turntables etc.
So I ask you if I could use a 'Geddon power supply unit-which is presently configured to use with a Linn LP12- on an original recipe Rega Planar 3?
The LP12 and Rega use essentially same Premotec AC motors as I understand.
I have an opportunity to buy a Geddon at an attractive price if quick enough
Your advice will be appreciated. Cheers.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Psu

I am not sure what a Geddon power supply is but when I had my Rega 3 I used the Linn Valhalla psu on it with no problems and I think to this day (about 12 years) the friend I sold the Rega to is still using it.
Alec
Old 30th July 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
FNQ is offline FNQ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserSoft View Post
I am not sure what a Geddon power supply is but when I had my Rega 3 I used the Linn Valhalla psu on it with no problems and I think to this day (about 12 years) the friend I sold the Rega to is still using it.
Alec
Thanks for your reply FraserSoft..Hey did you feel it made much difference to either sound quality or speed stability?
Old 30th July 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default PSU

The most notable thing I noticed was the tightening of the bass and a feeling that the sound was more open. I had bought a Linn LP12 with a Lingo and the Valhalla was going spare so it spent some time in my Rega 3 before selling it to my friend, are there no Valhalla boards lying around on eBay ?
Alec
Old 30th July 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

I do not think there is any objective against using a "geddon" with a Planar 3. If the "geddon" is not made by yourself, be sure that it really is up to the specs.
As the 50Hz power frequency is pretty much stabile it can be used with the proper filtering - done by the oversized transformer. The trick also seems to be that the actual powering voltage is as low as possible, so maybe you have to tweak the resistor a bit for the Planar 3.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Did someone object to using the Geddon with a Rega 3 I was discussing using the Valhalla that came with my LP12, I am a little confused.
Old 30th July 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

No need to be confused - the title of this thread is about using the geddon for the Planar3. If the Valhalla works, why not the geddon.
My experience with the Valhalla also includes the modification/variation of the output resistor to adapt it to the needs of the turntable. Although I use a LP12 I increased the value slightly to a better smoothness of the drive. This may be of much more importance with the geddon - which is not independent of mains voltage fluctuation.

Last edited by lohk; 30th July 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 30th July 2012, 01:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Apologies I am not aware how much the Geddon PSU is and thought a 2nd hand Valhalla might be a cheaper option. My Linn Lingo is still going strong after 14 years ish' and I managed to find a circuit for it and hoping I don't have to use it anytime soon.
Regards
Alec

Hide this!Advertise here!