Can I use a Geddon psu on a Planar 3 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.. I've a fine understanding of things audio but NOT an electronics expert by any means- but I can use my soldering iron quite well making-up interconnects, restoring turntables etc.
So I ask you if I could use a 'Geddon power supply unit-which is presently configured to use with a Linn LP12- on an original recipe Rega Planar 3?
The LP12 and Rega use essentially same Premotec AC motors as I understand.
I have an opportunity to buy a Geddon at an attractive price if quick enough ;)
Your advice will be appreciated. Cheers.

I do not think there is any objective against using a "geddon" with a Planar 3. If the "geddon" is not made by yourself, be sure that it really is up to the specs.
As the 50Hz power frequency is pretty much stabile it can be used with the proper filtering - done by the oversized transformer. The trick also seems to be that the actual powering voltage is as low as possible, so maybe you have to tweak the resistor a bit for the Planar 3.

No need to be confused - the title of this thread is about using the geddon for the Planar3. If the Valhalla works, why not the geddon.
My experience with the Valhalla also includes the modification/variation of the output resistor to adapt it to the needs of the turntable. Although I use a LP12 I increased the value slightly to a better smoothness of the drive. This may be of much more importance with the geddon - which is not independent of mains voltage fluctuation.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.