RIAA Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 07:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RIAA Capacitors

Hi, Looking for some advice on riaa eq caps

Whilst looking for highish value capacitors for a mc phono amp i am about to build, i came across some yellow Phillips KS 444 1% Tol Polystyrenes, these on the face of it seemed suitable for my application.

After reading a few threads on the subject, here, i discvovered that some think steel leads are bad for sound, i checked the Philips KS 444, Hmm! the leads are magnetic.
I also have some Russion Polystyrol box type, these are non magnetic, but i have read indifferent reports, Also i have the large Russian silver mica 0.5% Tol, the cases on these are steel, they are also large and difficult to mount on a PCB

I also came across some Vishay KP 461 1% Polypropylene, anyone know if these are magnetic?

And of course does it really matter?

Should i just stop worrying and use the Phillips KS444.

Which would you choose?

Last edited by velvetsunrise; 28th July 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 29th July 2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

why not omit with throughhole Caps alltogether? Apart from some eletrolytics SMD-caps are easy to solder and they improve on parasitic parameters like pin-inductance and they are non-magnetic. See PEN and PPS types (Panasonic et al) as well as silver Micas (CD or BMC). Btw. large size is no quality sign in itself. Under certain circumstances large sized Caps make excellent HF-antennas.

jauu
Calvin
Old 29th July 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Calvin,

I just sourced some suitably sized EMZ 1% Polypropylenes , hoping these will do the job. I may even mount the riaa networks on seperate small boards, that can be easily changed to try out different capacitor types.

Though i am not fully convinced that i could detect the presence of magnetic leadout wires, on an otherwise qualty component, but if alternatives are available, why take the chance.

Cheers.
Old 29th July 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Some of the Panasonic PP films have steel legs. Read the fine print of the specs to see where the copper lead versions begin.

Regards
David

Hide this!Advertise here!