Super deal secondhand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably too little tracking force. Adjust tracking force, check antiskating. For best results register at VinylEngine.com and find the manual in their library, it will explain everything.

For a quick fix, with the headshell and cartridge in place, adjust the counterweight so the arm is balanced, turn the numbered plastic ring on the counterweight to zero without upsetting the balance then turn the complete counterweight until it reads 2. That should give you 2 grams of tracking force, probably not ideal for your cartridge but an okay place to start. The tracking force is specific to the cartridge you own and will be listed in its specifications, easily found on the net. For dialing in accurate tracking force a tracking force gauge is recommended.

For the antiskate adjust the small dial on the right of the tonearm to about the same as your tracking force. This is a rough setting. For a proper setting search the web. There are many pages explaining the "best" way.

Awesome deal BTW! I have a KAB/DIY modified SL1200 and I love it! I loved it stock and love it more now. I prefer it to any turntable in my (kinda extensive) collection, its nearest rival is a Thorens TD125MKII not for any sonic reason though, I just really like tinkering with and looking at the Thorens.

The technics is much much better. Search ebay for a proper counterweight, it's pretty important... but anything will work as long as it gets the tracking force right, you would definitely need a tracking force gauge as the arms have different geometries and weight and those little dials are specific to the arm they are made for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.