Using “Almost-right” toroid for Armageddon Clone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2012, 02:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response! Good idea! Since for my initial build (at least), I'll be installing a used but *newer* motor (modded by the fellow I've purchased it from), it doesn't make sense to rely on stock values. So I'll test it, as you advise. I'm psyched! This is going to be fun. Also plan to tweak the capacitor values and test the 90 degree phase output with my oscilloscope, with the goal of ensuring near equal voltages on each phase.
Old 9th August 2012, 06:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
@Martin, yeh the hand doesn't lie and awfully accurate vibration sensing tool.
Old 13th August 2012, 12:13 AM   #13
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepaul View Post
Thanks to all who commented in this thread !!

I've purchased a 60 Hz motor-pulley assembly with a modded/upgraded bearing kit from a Linn aficionado I met online. When time permits, I will build a 'Geddon motor control/PSU with this toroid of mine. Then, Test it and see -- in the DIY spirit. My toroid puts out 72V so that's the voltage I'll feed to the phase circuit (which I assume doesn't change the voltage greatly). I'll build a separate circuit to supply the motor with start-up "phase adjusted" power at about 90V, then switch that over to the 'Geddon to play music.

I'll report back when it's done... I'd say, "stay tuned" but I know this is going to be months from now...

Best,

Paul B.

Wait! I think you may have misunderstood Zoodle there. when he said 85V and 90V I think that is +42.5-0-42.5 and -45-0-45 respectively. In your case, your first post is correct, with your toroid you are going to be running over 140V!
Although the motor may be ok, the point is to lower the voltage to lower vibration. You may be able to get away with a bunch of high watt resistors to step down the voltage, but that can be dangerous, I don't really recommend it, at least not that much of a step down.

Also, with the geddon, you will not have the option of 33 and 45 rpm as you do with the valhalla. You will have to get a pulley adaptor for the 45 rpm.
Don't quote me on this but I don't think you can feed the output of the valhalla to a geddon.
Old 14th August 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default New plan ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed2 View Post
... I think that is +42.5-0-42.5 and -45-0-45 respectively. In your case, your first post is correct, with your toroid you are going to be running over 140V!
My bad, I wasn't being clear. Can't I simply use the +72 - 0 output from my transformer as a 72V power source? That's the first thing I'll test. It's on the low side, but better than going crazy with lots of resistors (and the heat) or adding a step-down transformer (cost).

If on test, my transformer +72V doesn't yield enuf power to get the TT moving, I can always rig up a switched-PSU (wall wart) source to provide the power at start-up, then switch over to the clean power to keep it going. (I'll mount a DPDT switch on the TT, found a reference for one that will fit from another post).

Thanks for the concern! Oh, and about the two-speed option ... I have a 45 rpm adapter, but I never use it ... may be hard to fit to the new motor ... so I haven't given it much thought. But once you catch the audiophile "bug" it's hard to know when to stop, so now I'm thinking I should build in that option ....
Old 15th August 2012, 02:34 AM   #15
dazed2 is offline dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

I could be wrong, and the only way to tell is to try it, but I don't think +72-0 even if it does work, will be as smooth as say, +32-0-32 . I think the beauty of having a transformer in front of the motor is to give it that "balanced" power which may allow it to run smoother....
Again I could be wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!