platter black spots won't come off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dual cs5000 plater: don't know if its aluminum or zinc or both: does not ring when tapped. shinny areas have black carbon like spots that noxon will not take off. Hear simachrome good but any other ideas?

Does the spot increase in size the more you polish? If so beware that the spot is more than just a surface stain.:eek:
If spot size does not appear to change with extensive polish, then you might want to try another polish.

For my zinc Thorens platters I've been using Mother's Mag Wheel polish with excellent results.

-Steve

I have used almost every product: stain persists

I can not get these black spots out. The chrome plater or aluminum or zinc (I do not know) really holds on to these blemishes. I have tried magic eraser, simichrome, never dull, etc etc. I believe this is mild corrosion with some mild pitting. The rim surface is grooved (purposely) like a vinyl record. I believe I have to sand to get the corrosion off which means I have to remove the nice grooved surface. I am not an expert sander and would appreciate advice on how to sand a platter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.