Questions about a vintage tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I've found a vintage Radio-Shack TM-101 tuner, I lnow that there is better one today, but I would like to use it.

I Have the schematic.

Anybody can suggest me simples modifications to made it sound better and more sensitive ?

And where can I connect a small meter to see the signal strength wen I tune for a station ?

Here's the link to the schematic:

View image: Realistic TM 101 Schematic 1

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
I had a Luxman tuner very similar to this one. Actually it looks and should sound better than many digital tuners. I like the variable capacitor tuning. Varicaps cause distortion. Perhaps you could add another ceramic IF filter, and replace the diode in the PSU to a bridge rectifier (lifting the bottom end of the transformer from GND). The tuning indicator can be put across the capacitor C139. I upgraded my tuner with 2x TOKO BBR3132A 6-pole LC flter, but I am not sure if it is still available. Anyway "if is not broke, don't fix it"...

Varicaps, if used badly, can cause RF intermodulation. BJTs, as used in this tuner, are likely to be much worse. Fortunately RF IM does not directly translate to audio IM so provided you keep signal levels from the antenna high enough but not too high you should be OK.

For an FM tuning indicator you need to monitor the voltage at TP1 across C142. This is the output from the ratio detector. You may need a buffer, such as an opamp, to avoid any meter from loading the circuit. The meter needs to be a centre-zero type.

An FM signal strength is not really possible as there is no point in the circuit where a suitable voltage is available.

This tuner is not intended for serious hi-fi listening, just normal domestic radio reception. It is basically a Japanese AM/FM portable, with the audio output stage replaced by a stereo decoder chip.

One-chip tuners are unlikely to be hi-fi. DIY tuner designs are rare nowadays, as the RF front end requires knowledge and test equipment not normally associated with audio DIYers, while RF DIYers are not always so interested in audio quality. I designed and built an FM tuner but I guess I am unusual! Before you ask, I don't have a full circuit diagram for it and most of the chips in it are probably obsolete by now.

There are an enormous quantity of true Hi-Fi FM receivers on E-Bay going for silly money. It's equivalent to the end of the Vinyl age.

One day people will realise that FM is better than DAB, the same as they did with vinyl vs CD.

The ones for sale are those built at the pinnacle of the FM age. Grab a bargain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.