Where in the UK can I buy some tonearm cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I tried to rewire a Syrinx Pu2 and had LOTS of grief, send it to Johnny at Audio Origami he is a quality act! (like I had to after messing it up).
As it happens I have just swapped said Syrinx for a Datum 2 (thankfully with internal and external re-wire). How do they sound, I have an Ittok on an LP12 and an original Mission 774 on a Technics SL1210. I am guessing it will be similar to the Ittok?

If you are really set for silver wire, any jeweller in your area should be able to sell you some silver thread for a LOT less than VdH....
3-5 strands of 0.1 mm or thereabouts for each wire. Then get some of the thinnest teflon or kynar tubing from Farnell or others....

OTOH - quite a number of people reports very good results with wires from old headphones or mice.......;)

Last edited:
What I found the best way to use it was to use coloured felt pens to colour the silk coating so you can identify which wire is which.

As its so soft and pliable it can be hard to thread through the arm tube so use a reasonably thick wire to pass through the base up into the arm and out the socket end then use gaffer tape etc. to attach the 4/5 lengths of TransFi wire to the thick cable and then pull it through the tube in one go.

Also if you do find any areas where the silk coating has come off just coat it in a little PVA glue which makes as good electrical seal for any exposed wire threads. As Vic says burn through the silk coating & tin the exposed wires at the same time.

That's my complete knowledge now.....but its not that hard so just go & get started.

Silver Insulated Wire Global Online Supplies - Product Line AG5494

I am using this on my RPM 4 it made uge difference as it had cheap and nasty tonearm cable finishing on even more cheap and nasty Phono Plugs.

You can get heat srink sleeve in various colors from RS or Farnell and that covers the cart plug thingie
I run 4 conductors in twisted pairs inside separate silicon sleeve and metal braid over the top that way one can go balanced on to a 5 pin plug.

When you remove the old cable just use one of the old conductors to pull new cable trough the arm so no need to dismantle it.

No did not ceck the capacitance MC coils need same any way so why bother?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.