Thorens TD 166 mk2 vs Rega

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How would a Thorens TD 166 mk2 in good original condition perform sonically against a more modern Rega 3; considering both tables are working to spec, and both have equivalent quality cartridges, cables, wiring, etc.
Would it be wise to buy a fully restored Thorens TD 166 mk2, or for similar money, get a new Rega Planar 3?
Is the Rega table better due to efficiencies in computer aided design, and modern synthetic materials, or is the steel, brass, rubber, and wood construction of the Thorens a more effective way to render quality sound? Maybe someone has done some extensive A/B comparisons and formed an opinion. I will be doing so in the near future.
Maybe they both measure well, and sound good, and it comes down to which presentation the listener prefers?

A Rega can sound excellent with minimal fuss/care. For those who simply want to enjoy their records, I would suggest the Rega. Meanwhile, used Thorens decks show more variation in sound.

Since this is a DIY forum, I should mention that both turntables are upgradeable, but the hard core DIYer might find a Thorens to be a more satisfying subject due higher parts count, hence more areas for experiment. That said, upgrade parts and kits are available for the Rega (some from Rega themselves).

In either case, I recommend a brand new cartridge/stylus (even if modest) over a used one.

Last edited:
How would a Thorens TD 166 mk2 in good original condition perform sonically against a more modern Rega 3; considering both tables are working to spec, and both have equivalent quality cartridges, cables, wiring, etc.
Would it be wise to buy a fully restored Thorens TD 166 mk2, or for similar money, get a new Rega Planar 3?
Is the Rega table better due to efficiencies in computer aided design, and modern synthetic materials, or is the steel, brass, rubber, and wood construction of the Thorens a more effective way to render quality sound? Maybe someone has done some extensive A/B comparisons and formed an opinion. I will be doing so in the near future.
Maybe they both measure well, and sound good, and it comes down to which presentation the listener prefers?

There are no new Rega Planar 3 turntables. The P3-24 happened, then the RP-3. Both are reportedly improvements compared to the Planar 3. Measurements are less explanatory than listening. The newest Regas (RP-1, etc) benefit from better motors, plinths, etc, and improvements over the RB-300 and RB-250 tonearms.

A Rega can sound excellent with minimal fuss/care. For those who simply want to enjoy their records, I would suggest the Rega. Meanwhile, used Thorens decks show more variation in sound.

Since this is a DIY forum, I should mention that both turntables are upgradeable, but the hard core DIYer might find a Thorens to be a more satisfying subject due higher parts count, hence more areas for experiment. That said, upgrade parts and kits are available for the Rega (some from Rega themselves).

In either case, I recommend a brand new cartridge/stylus (even if modest) over a used one.

With not much work a Thorens TD16X can nip at the heals of a LP12. It all depends on the time and money one is willing to invest.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.