300 dollars for a turntable. Help. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 300 dollars for a turntable. Help.

Ok I got a yaqin tube amp and I am looking to get a a turntable to hook up to it. All I have now is a audio technia lp60 i think that doesn't play full through a record before it starts skipping.

I am looking to get something in the 300 dollar range. Does any one have any good ideas on what would be a good buy?
Old 18th June 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Shortyg83;

For low cost turntables, I would look to Ebay and see if you could pick up a Thorens in good condition. You will likely have to buy a new belt for it (around $20) and if there is no cartridge on it, look to buying a Grado as a starter (Grado Black, not bad). Some people like the automatic Dual turntables like the 1229 but they may need more attention.

For the Thorens, look for models like the TD160. Easy turntable to setup and maintain. That is what I started with then did some upgrading and added a new arm after some time with it.

Check this one out on Ebay, comes with a nice cartridge too:

http://tinyurl.com/6qomd2h

Last edited by SoundBound; 18th June 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added url
Old 18th June 2012, 02:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was looking at the thorens, I have heard good things about them. I was also considering a used rega planar 2 or music hall.

are these all good options? And are the all MM?
Old 18th June 2012, 02:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I never had a Rega or Music Hall TT. I focus on the older vintage stuff as it is a better bargain (IMHO) and are fun to maintain and modify/upgrade.

I can personally vouch for the Thorens (check out my Thorens mods and upgrades on the link below, if interested) I really like the nice HEAVY platter they have and good bearing. They have various models that are always sought after.

The Denon DL-110 cartridge is an MC but with high output level compatible with MM preamp inputs. Definitely go with MM or MM level cartridges for starting out, MC requires more stuff and cost to get working. Not worth the hassle as a beginner in vinyl.

My Thorens Playground

(the Thorens has been upgraded since with an SME3009 tonearm and Audio Technica cartridge)
Old 18th June 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
shoryg83,
I have a dual cs 505-2 in perfect shape that I'm looking to sell. I have a new TT coming. I could include a used grado zf1+ cartridge with it. I was thinking of asking for $200.00. If this seems off base then let me know.
Evan
Old 18th June 2012, 04:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post
shoryg83,
I have a dual cs 505-2 in perfect shape that I'm looking to sell. I have a new TT coming. I could include a used grado zf1+ cartridge with it. I was thinking of asking for $200.00. If this seems off base then let me know.
Evan
It seems like a nice turntable, only issue is for some reason I don't really like DUAL. I think probably because of what the name has become. Which is not quality.

I was trying to stick with a company like rega because most upgrades are easy with them.
I would consider others like Harman or marantz and such though.
Old 18th June 2012, 04:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I was trying to stick with a company like rega because most upgrades are easy with them.
I would consider others like Harman or marantz and such though.
Hmmm, from what I see, if your eyes are set on a Rega, you will have to increase your budget. I don't see anything trading below the $300 mark.

By the way, do you already have a phono preamp to mate with your Yaqin amp? Don't forget that critical piece of kit !
Old 18th June 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundBound View Post
By the way, do you already have a phono preamp to mate with your Yaqin amp? Don't forget that critical piece of kit !
I think you just gave him bad news...there are some cheap preamps on ebay , assembled or kits
Old 18th June 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm quite happy with my BIC 940 I purchased for $59 on closeout in 1979. 1.5 g tracking, spring anti-skate, auto shut off, very easy on record surfaces and extremely reliable. Never even replaced the belt. Thousands of hours used. Found another at a yard sale last year, $25. Look around. I'm running a Shure M97 Era IV on it. I'm so happy, I spent $1000 on speakers and an amp last year to go with it.
By contrast the Gerrard my buddy gave me when he quit records, rumbles. And the Techniques turntable I picked up at Goodwill needs a belt. And I sold off my 1961 AR turntable about 1980 because the needle would bounce out of the groove when I walked on my Jim Walters home wood floor, but the BIC 940 just took the bouncing in stride. The BIC looked like every cheap Airline or Silvertone stereo from the seventies, with no snob appeal at all. Fake wood grain, cheap black plastic and all. All the money went into the performance. No wonder they went bankrupt so fast. Consum**** Re****s never tested a turntable for the bouncing needle while walking.

Last edited by indianajo; 18th June 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 18th June 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am aware of the need for a preamp. I will be getting a yaqin tube preamp. just not decided on which one yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!