Thorens TD 124

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently overhauled my TD124.Fresh oil 10W-30 in the main bearing.Oiled the motor bearings ,did not open the motor but oiled it using the holes provided in the motor.Cleaned all the drive parts.

The problem is that the TT comes up to speed in one revolution but runs slightly fast. After an hour it starts to run slow and the slowdown is progressive.After another hour it runs slightly slower still.

The spin down time after shut down from 33 RPM is 40 secs.

Also the motor gets very hot after about three hours of use.Very hot to touch.

Another thing I noticed is that the motor continues to spin even if I switch the TT off.

What could be the problem.The TT was working fine before I relubed it.

Regards
Rajiv

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bad cap as analog_sa indicates.

This thread has lots of information on rebuilding your motor which is what you currently need to do: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/174341-restoring-improving-thorens-td-124-mkii.html

The eddy current brake is probably misadjusted allowing the table to run fast when cold, then as the motor heats up the motor bearings start to seize which is why it then runs progressively slower and hotter. It may eventually burn out if you do not clean and lubricate the bearings - depending on hours of use replacement bearings may be fitted. There are several good sources on eBay as well as Schopper in Switzerland.

Make sure you are using the correct motor voltage tap for the local mains voltage.

Note that you should really be using 20wt oil in the main bearing and motor - the design depends to a significant extent on the correct viscosity oil for good speed stability. No harm done as you should be able to flush the bearings anyway.

Running properly it should run a bit slow when cold, and once warm run dead on speed. Mine needs a speed adjustment about once a year now unless I change speeds..

I have two, and use one of them nearly everyday, it's about as trouble free as I can imagine, but did not start that way as you will see if you read my thread. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.