OPINION ON TNT SOLIDPHONO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Friends, I am to build a RIAA phono preamp. I am currently using a circuit-based pre Rod Elliott. I ordered the parts on eBay to build a SOLIDPHONO of TNT. as they say is based on the LEHMANN BLACK CUBE.
I would like your opinions on the project. step and advise me how to connect the in put, and published in the circuit in the negative input of TNT SSM2019 is connected to ground. It is so or not is connected to ground and remains balanced input?. Greetings Jose.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since you have all the parts you might as well finish it.. :D

Some modifications to the power supply should be possible by just cutting some etches and jumpering as needed.

It can serve as a reference for determining the merit of other designs and when superseded by something better you can just loan it out.

With inverting input grounded it is not a balanced input. If you want to use a balanced input configuration refer to the application note for input bias current path.

If the commercial circuit throws away the greatest advantage of the SSM2017 like that (balanced input with extremely high CMR), I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed. I'm using a similar circuit, though fully balanced and with THAT1646 as the output IC, for a temporary preamp while I debug my tube MM stage, and it sounds pretty darn good. NB that all wiring between arm and preamp is also balanced.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the commercial circuit throws away the greatest advantage of the SSM2017 like that (balanced input with extremely high CMR), I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed. I'm using a similar circuit, though fully balanced and with THAT1646 as the output IC, for a temporary preamp while I debug my tube MM stage, and it sounds pretty darn good. NB that all wiring between arm and preamp is also balanced.

I don't think that is the only issue with this design, but I can see why they would throw away the diff input option since very few arms support the option.

Interestingly enough I can very easily convert my SME arm, all I would have to do is change the lead out cable at the proprietary connector. Unfortunately this is not an option on the much better Schick arm I use day to day..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.