Recommendations for MC head-amp kit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Recommendations for MC head-amp kit?

I have a Blue Point No.2 MC cartridge. It has quite a high output of 2.5mV so it is currently connected to the MM phono input of my amp. But I would like to build an MC head-amp kit for this.

Can anyone offer any suggestions/recommendations of MC head-amp kits?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Change your cart to low output type, patched to a suitable MC step up transformer. You can be amazed what you may be missing.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:03 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

With 2.5mV nominal output, a head amp is likely to cause lots of problems- non-optimal load for the cartridge, input overload, overloading the RIAA stage... What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve?

If you're committed to that cartridge, you'll get the most bang for buck by optimizing the loading. The Blue Points tend to be particularly critical regarding the loading capacitance (including cables), so pay particular attention to that.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsemtex View Post
It has quite a high output of 2.5mV so it is currently connected to the MM phono input of my amp. But I would like to build an MC head-amp kit for this.
Actually, no, you don't. The whole point of high output MC carts is the output is high enough to connect directly to a MM phono input. At most you may wish to change the loading from 47k down to something like 1k or whatever is recommended by the cartridge manufacturer.

"real" MC carts have outputs down around 0.15-0.45 mV so they need an extra 20 dB of voltage gain that is provided by the head-amp, step up transformer, or a dedicated high gain phono stage.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, Seems to me that you need a good SUT, look at good designs like Bob's Devises 3440AH ($899) o TemaadAudio 3440AH ($499) or go to ebay buy the transformers and build you own

Hide this!Advertise here!