Empire 698 Tonearm Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for an Empire 698 tonearm. Mine has succumbed to a fairly common fault of this arm; disintegration of the plastic connector at the headshell end of the arm. It is the part that the headshell slides onto. If anyone knows of the whereabouts of one of these, it would be most helpful. Also, anyone knowing of a way to convert this arm to a more common mount, or to repair the mount on this one, would help as well. Can the arm wand be swapped? Is there a replacement arm that would with the Empire electronic lift? Have I asked enough questions?:whacko:

A Notts Analogue arm can be made to fit with a little effort. The geometry is correct for this turntable and it sounds so much better than the Empire offering. Modification involves machining the arm pillar down to fit the hole in the Empire subchassis.

Attachments

• P1010648.jpg
    P1010648.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010647.jpg
    P1010647.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 207
The arm in the two pics is an Omega Point One. This was Tom Fletcher's first arm I believe and I still have it. I doubt I'll ever part with it. My Empire 598 now has a Notts Analogue Mentor tonearm fitted which is basically an upgrade from the Point One and looks similar to an Ace Space. You should be able to pick one up for 300 quid, maybe a bit less if you're lucky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.