Technics SP-10MKII service and maintenance questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know what I should replace/repair/update in the Technics SP-10MKII.

Besides all the electrolytic caps, should I replace the polyester and ceramic caps as well ?

What about the transistors and etc...?

Also, any tips regarding service/maintenance and use of the SP-10MKII would be great.

This is my first turntable and I have no experience with any turntable

Keep in mind that the SP10 is from the late 70ies and as such is very likely to use paper boards. These are difficult to solder as the solder pads easily lift off when heated for a bit too long.

If so, I would only recommend to recap if you've plenty of experience in soldering or the turntable really has issues with the caps. In case you still go for it, you can always repair lifted traces with pieces of (insulated) wire.

Hannes

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I replaced all the electrolytics with the same value 105C longest life Panasonics and all the 5% carbon films with 1% metal films on the 3 boards inside the table without problem. Changed the 1uf electrolytics for Wima polyesters.

I replaced power supply lamp with an orange LED and increased the filter cap values in the external power supply.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.