Tonearm mounting distance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tonearm mounting distance

Hi,

Is a Linn Lvx tonearm's mounting distance (211mm) critical?

I have searched the web and only seem to find mention of cartridge alignment.

What if my mounting distance is 195mm?

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know anything about that arm, but in general mounting distance is critical. If the mounting distance is wrong there's a good chance you won't be able to achieve the desired alignment because the slots won't allow you to put the cartridge where it needs to be. The pivot to spindle distance is the fundamental dimension that everything else is derived from because it's usually the fixed dimension that you can't do much about.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:34 AM   #3
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
ABSOLUTELY critical! Google tonearm geometry and read one or two articles on this subject.
Old 5th May 2012, 06:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes It is important, but the critical thing is that the overhang of your cartridge is appsolutly spot on. And I mean to 0.010mm or better. If this is not correct the distortion level increase dramatically. Also do not rely on the manufactures general guidlines. Go to VinylEngines Tonearm Alignment Calulator and type in your arm details. You may be suprised to see the best (lowest distortion) is different from what is recommeded by the manufacture.
Cheers
Old 5th May 2012, 07:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarddn View Post
Yes It is important, but the critical thing is that the overhang of your cartridge is appsolutly spot on. And I mean to 0.010mm or better.
That makes no sense to me. Overhang is simply pivot to stylus length minus pivot to spindle length.

Assuming Baerwald's alignment, a 0.01mm change in overhang will increase the maximal distortion from 1.25% to a little under 1.26%. This is not a dramatic increase.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 5th May 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

0.01 mm is not achievable. Cumulative bearing slop probably exceeds that and it would take fancy lab equipment to get that close even if the mechanics were up to it. IMO, overhang numbers should be entirely ignored because most tone arms won't go over center to even measure it and very often the published numbers are simply wrong. Better to use a decent alignment template, mine or others, and be secure in the fact that if the cartridge meets the conditions of the template, the overhang is where it needs to be.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
0.01 mm is not achievable.
Sure it is.

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roy.jpg (7.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 7th May 2012, 05:42 AM   #8
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
0.01 mm is not achievable. Cumulative bearing slop probably exceeds that and it would take fancy lab equipment to get that close even if the mechanics were up to it. IMO, overhang numbers should be entirely ignored because most tone arms won't go over center to even measure it and very often the published numbers are simply wrong. Better to use a decent alignment template, mine or others, and be secure in the fact that if the cartridge meets the conditions of the template, the overhang is where it needs to be.
+10 and i can vouch your's work, been using it for awhile now ..
Old 8th May 2012, 09:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Record overhang

Hi, Yes 0.01mm is not achievable, I just slung that figure in the emphasize the importance of achieving the correct overhang. If you cannot achieve the correct overhang with the recommended spindle to arm length then move the arm, because overhang together with cartridge offset is the most important figure to get right.
I can assure that bearing play in any modern arm is a lot let than 0.01mm, and then again if you are using a uni-Pivot there is no bearing play at all
Yes setting correct overhang is quite difficult, because the spindle gets in the way of making the correct alignment. Some turntables allow the centre spindle to be removed to allow correct overhang to be set, the one that comes to mind is the TemaadAudio range. They have a precision removable brass centre pin, the only other way I know is to buy an expensive overhang gauge like Dr, Finckle (but I think to DIY people this would be sacrilege).

Max Distortion
0.5mm over : 1.0270
Correct : 0.6210
0.5mm under: 0.8360

If people set by eyeing down over the spindle they could be as much as 1.5mm out or more because the arm is acting in a arch and eye alignment is normally very, very poor. So you have to get the cartridge stylus down onto the record surface. Of cause then the problem is do you use a standard record or 200 grm as the record thickness will again change the desired result!! Such is life with playing record, so many variables but still great sound!!
Cheers Tabard
Old 8th May 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Note my word "cumulative". That includes the platter bearing too. Just for fun, put a dial indicator on the edge of your platter and then rock the platter gently from each side. Pinning down the location of things to even 0.1 mm in 3-D space is harder than most people realize. Machinists think I'm nuts when I say even a good Bridgeport mill is only about a 0.003" (0.076mm) machine when talking about points in space. It's fun to track down error sources!

I agree about eyeball measurements. Most people can't get a cartridge body or stylus lined up with a reference nearly as well as they think they can. Given a good cross hair or better yet, a parallel pair of them, the eye can center and align things quite well. The longer the baseline the better. OTOH, if you think you can get a cartridge rotated to better than 1/4 degree, you're probably fooling your self; that's about .005" on a 1" baseline. If aligning to the stylus, the baseline is so short that the method is highly questionable. My odd shaped Ortofon is even harder to figure, so I usually tape vertical paper "gates" to the template to help.

The reason I did the arc template the way I did was because the one dimension you can usually pin down with sufficient accuracy is the spindle to arm pivot distance. Once you have that, the rest is easy- follow the arc, then rotate to a single grid. No iteration between two grids, which doubles any error.

Last edited by Conrad Hoffman; 8th May 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!