Marble Turntable Sub-base - Suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
wrankin is offline wrankin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Marble Turntable Sub-base - Suggestions?

Well I've gone back to listening to a lot more vinyl lately and I've come to the realization that I have to do something to better isolate the turntable (an older Rega Planar2 w/a modded RB250). Currently it sits on top of a media cabinet and a decent footfall on the hardwood floors will cause a jump.

Mounting a shelf on the wall is not an option (fails SAF).

I have a big slab of granite (freeby from a sink cut out) that I was planning on making into a sub-plinth. It will probably weigh 20+ lbs once I trim it to size. I am looking for any ideas on the best way to put things together in terms of feet for the slab, etc. Cheap is good.

Eventually I will probably re-plinth the Planar2 entirely to get better motor isolation, etc. But right now I'm just looking for something quick-n-dirty that will get the job done and not look too bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-bill
Old 4th May 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
Any ideas?

Don't do it. For some reason stones seem very appealing as "isolation" platforms, yet they provide the opposite of isolation. Marble and granite have a distinct, strong acoustic flavour which i find seriously amusical. Slate, thanks to high internal damping is much, much better, but suffers WAF in comparison.

A composite structure (Simposium platform clone), or a platform on top of an inner tube is a much better solution.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:04 AM   #3
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

If there is any way to float 2 pcs back to back, you could make an air float platform that would be superior to those rigid turntable ideas that transmit every vibration known to man into the table.
Granite is a perfectly stable material for surface plates that keep a constant flatness at all times in all kinds of temps
I would not make a plinth out of granite though, too high a Q and not flexible enough for this

Regards
David
Old 5th May 2012, 12:10 AM   #4
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Just remembered, get 3 go cart inner tubes and place them underneath the slab for an excellent and cheap isolation table

Regards
David
Old 5th May 2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi

I used mable for my CD player and it excellent in my system.

Jozua
Old 5th May 2012, 06:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Use your slab and place a small inflated bike inner tube under it, (if you can find 3/4 really small ones, this is more staple, by great for Isolation. I you are looking to Upgrade later TemaadAudio do a great upgrade kit for the Rega. 20mm Platter, seperate motor in its own pod with electronic speed control, a spacer to bring the are up to the correct height. All this for less that the price of a Rega 24 volt upgrade motor.
email temaadaudio@gmail.com for details
Cheers
Old 6th May 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Just remembered, get 3 go cart inner tubes and place them underneath the slab for an excellent and cheap isolation table

Regards
David
I use 2 in a divided box. Inflate them separately to get it level.
Old 6th May 2012, 07:14 PM   #8
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Stone works - sort of

I have used stone slabs for years and when I remove them, my system looses something.

However...
When I used a plain slab of stone under my 'table, it would sometimes seem to be adding something unpleasant. Then, I was reading some stuff about constrained layers and resonance and got the idea that the nasties were coming from resonance in the stone slab (yeah, a sink cut-out).

What I did was got a piece of 3/16" plywood, cut it to the size of the stone (slightly smaller, actually) and 'glued" it to the bottom of the stone with a whole tube of silicone seal. I did my best to spread the silicone over the whole surface about 1/8" thick. I let it cure (2 days) and then put it back in place under my 'table'. Results: wow! The sound from my 'table gained solidity and definition, with much better clarity and highs that I had no idea my cartridge could produce.

This is a very simple and affordable fix and works as well as many high-end platforms.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:14 PM   #9
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Here are some links to some DIY isolation platforms that I home you find helpful..
Custom DIY Isolation Platform Table : aka sandbox
The TNT SandBlaster 1.0
http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherf...g=posts&t=3228
Garbz's Haus
Old 7th May 2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default stone can work...

... at least my 3" X 18" X 20" pieces of tombstone (pink granite) do... ain't nothin' gonna move that around (whimpy small vibes....).

But there are other solutions than a brute force one. I've used bicycle inner tubes (worked the best under my cd player) as an "air support".

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are two thoughts. If trying to minimize vibrations in a source component then stone (or other high mass stuff, like concrete) is not appropriate. Dampening is required. If vibes try to pass from one medium to another (such as from a turntable to a denser material such as marble or granite), most will be reflected back. This is what I suspect happened with Jesse's first experience. Once he provided a constrained layer (the wood layer and the silicon goo), it helped to dissipate the small vibes to it's surrounding.

Mass can help isolate a component from external vibrations (like a 40 ton highway tractor and trailer speeding down your street).

Hide this!Advertise here!