1200 turntable (any good?) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2002, 07:48 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Bernard,

Glad to see you here too. It's good to have another vinyl head here. I was beginning to feel lonely.

I agree totally about the stylus never losing touch with the groove being the prime factor in record wear, assuming good styli.
However, my comments were made in the context of the original question being about DJ tt's, from a person who had done some DJing in the past, and who had an Ortofon concorde. Screamed DJ setup to me.

DJ carts are built to be rugged. Their suspensions are hard and the cantilevers heavy, to take all the abuse they do, and the stylii are <i>usually</i> spherical or conical. A cart such as, say, a Shure 97 or a Grado 'colour' would be a huge improvement in both sound quality, and the ability to track well at lower weights. But not scratched. All things being equal I would prefer a cart to track at 1 gram than 3.

That being said I love my Garrott Decca (2.2g tracking). I also have Denon 103D and DL160, Rega Super Elys, Win Labs, Shure 97 and a Grado Black. I would love an SPU, but I'm, not sure I can get a third arm on the Gyro!

Take care.
'Till next time

Brett
Old 30th January 2002, 10:49 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default very fast

Hello Randy,

thanks for the reply. I´ve got the repair manual for the 1200 and checked the controller, cleaned everything etc. Next thing I´ll do is to change two transistors for the speed control wich are not standard.
The problem with this turntable is that you can´t do anything to the board (knocking, ice spray) when the platters on.

william
Old 30th January 2002, 05:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: very fast

Sometimes when boards become sensitive to jarring it might be a bad capacitor...

Quote:
Originally posted by wuffwaff
Hello Randy,

thanks for the reply. I´ve got the repair manual for the 1200 and checked the controller, cleaned everything etc. Next thing I´ll do is to change two transistors for the speed control wich are not standard.
The problem with this turntable is that you can´t do anything to the board (knocking, ice spray) when the platters on.

william
Old 31st January 2002, 01:44 PM   #14
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default C'mon, let's pester Jason to open a vinyl board :-)

Hi Brett,

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett

[B]Hi Bernard,

Glad to see you here too. It's good to have another vinyl head here. I was beginning to feel lonely.

see topic, maybe I manage to manouver some hardcore DIY TT guys to stop by , then It would not be a ghost town. Jeremy Epstein, Thom Mackris, Peter Clark, Hartmut Quaschik, Manfred Huber, you are reading this?

A vinyl forum and a music forum is the only thing missing on this gorgeous site.

Jason wrote that he would not mind having a vinyl board but would loathe to see it as a ghost town. So it is up to use to generate some vinyl traffic and to earn our forum.

Quote:
I agree totally about the stylus never losing touch with the groove being the prime factor in record wear, assuming good styli.

However, my comments were made in the context of the original question being about DJ tt's, from a person who had done some DJing in the past, and who had an Ortofon concorde. Screamed DJ setup to me.

DJ carts are built to be rugged. Their suspensions are hard and the cantilevers heavy, to take all the abuse they do, and the stylii are <i>usually</i> spherical or conical.

I see. As I wrote, no experience in the DJ world.

However, one of the best cartridges I ever heard was an Ortofon SPU rebuilt by Reto Luigi Andreoli from Switzerland and this cart had a spherical, highly polished stylus. Intentionally! This cart would be my choice to play pre-1956 vinyl (of which I have a lot). Although ... could Koetsu be convinced to build a mono/spherical cartridge based on the Koetsu Urushi ... this could tempt me hard . Sugano-san is a master like his father.

Quote:
A cart such as, say, a Shure 97 or a Grado 'colour' would be a huge improvement in both sound quality, and the ability to track well at lower weights. But not scratched. All things being equal I would prefer a cart to track at 1 gram than 3.

Just your paranoia, engineering testbooks concerns

Quote:
That being said I love my Garrott Decca (2.2g tracking). I also have Denon 103D and DL160, Rega Super Elys, Win Labs, Shure 97 and a Grado Black. I would love an SPU, but I'm, not sure I can get a third arm on the Gyro!

Gasp, to mention a Garrot Decca and Grado "colour" in one sentence!

And the Denon103 certainly does not get alive below 2.5gr.

AS far as the arm is concerned, well, my own tonearm design has tonearm wands and counterweight wands interchangable within 120 seconds. See my website for a 1st impression.
Old 1st February 2002, 02:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default vinyl forum

Hi,

I would welcome a vinyl forum. I still listen a lot more to LP than CD and would be interested to hear other opinions on cartridges, new lp releases, etc. My diy activities concerning turntables and arms are minimal (new wiring in an SME IV) but I´m planning to rebuild an old TD160 with SME 3009 (new plinth, armboard, motor control). My current turntable is an Oracle Delphi MK III/SME IV/Benz L04. For this I would like to make a new power supply/motor steering but I haven´t found anything on this topic yet. I tried a few different transformers and they made big changes (for better and for worse) so there has to be some potential here.

cheers,

william
Old 2nd February 2002, 01:52 AM   #16
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: vinyl forum

Quote:
Originally posted by wuffwaff

Hi,

I would welcome a vinyl forum. I still listen a lot more to LP than CD ....

Hello William,

well, maybe a vinyl forum is not so unprobable. I have advertised among my buddies for this forum and there are quite some hardcore DIY TT nuts among them. Maybe they like the spirit here as much as I do and they stick with us. A vinyl forum would have enough traffic to make Jason smile to it.

I already intended to start a new thread asking for a vinyl forum but desided to wait a bit until one or the other of my buddies is showing his nose in the diyaudio door gap (one of them I spotted already; hifidaddy, you hear me?) or until enough response arises from forum members.

Let's see how it works out!
Old 2nd February 2002, 01:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'm no turntable nut but I own one and would find a TT forum educational, or entertaining if anything. I would definatly frequent it...
Old 2nd February 2002, 07:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a TT DIY'er, but I've always been proud of my Technics 1700 and more then 400 analog discs. I've used Grado's for more then 20 years. I had my G2+ fitted with a new stylus in the 80's, and it's what I'm using today (tho there was length of time that the SAF got the best of my record collection and was put in storage - stituation rectified).

I would keep track of the goings-on at a TT forum. So if it's votes that count, here's one.

Rodd Yamashita
Old 2nd February 2002, 11:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

In the last 3 days I collected a Technics SL120 from a friend. This is my first TT since my parents crappy 3 in 1. I think the 120 is pretty much a 1200 but with a circular cutout for a removable armboard. At present it's only running an 80 pound ADC AL-1 arm and an old Shure VST cart.

This ones gonna be a keeper :-D

The arm may eventually go for an OL modded RB250 when I get the spare dollars and a Shure M97E would improve things.

At present it's feeding my Denon AVR1800 5 channel syst which I doubt has the best phono stage on the planet and even as is, on the music where I've got both CD and vinyl, there aint no comparison. Terrified as I am of Linn dealership style behaviour, I find my foot tapping! Doesn't happen with CD.

Soon, (once the rest of the building work is finished) it'll go into my Turner valve pre, Passalbs zen revisited, Fostex 168 horn system, then I'll really get to see what all the fuss is about.

The SL1200 arm is considered by many I've read/spoken to to be its achilles heel. I'm not saying that the ADC I'm using is a super arm, I seriously doubt it. The arm upgradeability of the 120 is something definitely in its favour though.

Oh dear, looks like I've succumbed to the evil black disc. What a way to go huh?

Drew
Old 1st October 2002, 04:30 PM   #20
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default SL-1200 as OEM product?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewP
The SL1200 arm is considered by many I've read/spoken to to be its achilles heel. I'm not saying that the ADC I'm using is a super arm, I seriously doubt it. The arm upgradeability of the 120 is something definitely in its favour though.
The arm looks cheap, I agree. I always thought that, never matched the price, 1200 USD in the good old days.

Now, does Technics sell this SL-1200 as an OEM product? I have seen at least 3 TT which look very much alike SL-1200. Stanton, Numark and ??? (forgot the name)

Picture from http://www.ljudia.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stanton_tt.jpg (16.7 KB, 333 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!